Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
xrated
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Rechberger

Hardware requirements

Post by xrated »

Hi
hardware specs for this product seems to be a bit high but also not very detailed.

We want to backup only Sharepoint with ~200G, 300k files, 40 users.
Not really much but requirement is also 10 years of retention period. Will this slowdown a lot?

Does it really require 8core cpu? Are there any details about speed? I think there are even 8core ARM available. What about passmark speed?
Memory really 16G?

What about storage, when do i need SSD? I would like to prefer harddisks (WD Red Pro 6TB in software RAID1).

At the moment its running on a old 2core i5 (passmark 3000), 12G RAM. I already noticed its somewhat slow.

Can you please recommend hardware?
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Hardware requirements

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Thomas,
We have an estimator calculator that can help you to understand some of this, and hopefully answer some of your questions:
https://calculator.veeam.com/vb365

Besides that, and the Helpcenter with the system requirements, there is a Best Practices sites with some more formulas, and in depth explanation in case you want to go deeper:
https://bp.veeam.com/vb365/

Please do not go with less recommended resources.

Hope it helps.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
xrated
Influencer

Post by xrated »

hi
i dont see there anything about specific requirements on hardware
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Thomas,

For a production environment (not evaluation/POC), the recommended setup for a proxy (that does the processing of data) is 8 cores/32 RAM. Backup tasks are resource intensive and the lack of CPU/RAM on your host can significantly impact the performance.
For storage, we recommend using object storage repositories, because they provide max efficiency compared to databases on local block storage, and also support more capabilities, such as encryption, compression, and backup copy functionality.

Thanks!
xrated
Influencer

Post by xrated »

Hi
if there is even 32GB and 8core requirement, is the software so inefficient or is it only to scale up to +500 users?
We are talking about 30-40 users and only Sharepoint Backup is required.
Code2Backup doesnt have that high requirement.
i never heard the term object storage, is that a NAS i.e. Netapp or such?
Can you please go more in detail and why we should invest so much in hardware for only 200G of data.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Please check out this page of our Best Practices guide to get a better understanding of how to size VB365 in the best way: https://bp.veeam.com/vb365/guide/design ... d-maximums

If you are below 2K objects in total (i.e. mailboxes, sites, etc), then 4core/8GB RAM should be more than sufficient. Likewise, if you're not planning for the growth of your infrastructure, you can go with a block-based repository on SSD. Why SSD? Because we put backup data to a live Jet database and it requires faster storage for constant reads/writes.

By object storage, I mean a backup repository configured in Azure Blob storage, Amazon S3, or any S3 Compatible system (if you need more details on it, you can find them here or in our Helpcenter).
noniqu
Novice

Post by noniqu »

Our organization has a similar size as OPs (35 users currently) and even an Azure B2ms VM (2 cores / 8GB) worked fine for us, but we've only been using Veeam for three weeks and the initial sync happened on a larger machine.
I was wondering what kind of Azure VM would be recommended for the Veeam proxy. Is B-series fine or what would be the recommended VM size for a small organization?
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

We recommend the F series as the most performing. From both our tests and customers' experience, we know that the B series doesn't fit in the long run because VB365 continuously needs full CPU performance.

Thanks!