Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
razor2refs
Influencer
Liked: never

Confused about retention, move to Object Storage and deletion period

Post by razor2refs »

Hi,
I am trying to setup a backup schedule for Vmware VMs. The default setting (when I edit SOBR) in the capacity tier window says "Move backups older than 14 days (your operational restore window)". The default retention when creating a backup in performance tier is 7 days. The object lock is 30 days. I was told by Veeam agent that at the end of 7th day, when a new synthetic backup is created, Veeam waits 14 days to move the backups to capacity tier. Does that mean that the actual retention on performance tier is 7 + 14 = 21 days? Also, if the object lock storage is 30 days, how would backups older than 7 days would be deleted after the retention period ends? When I try to manually remove a backup after 7 days, it says because Object lock is on, it cannot even delete from the performance tier because both performance and capacity has to be deleted at the same time.

I need some clarity as to how many days I should set for each setting. My main goal is to keep backups for 7 days and after 7 days it should automatically delete from performance and capacity tier with object storage on.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Confused about retention, move to Object Storage and deletion period

Post by Mildur »

Hi Razor

Welcome to the forum.
The default retention when creating a backup in performance tier is 7 days.
With 30 days immutability (object lock), please set your retention to 30 days. You want to protect backups for 30 days.
There is no reason so set a lower retention. With Object Lock set to 30 days in Veeam, Restore Points cannot be deleted before this 30 days (+10 days block generation) are over.
I was told by Veeam agent that at the end of 7th day, when a new synthetic backup is created, Veeam waits 14 days to move the backups to capacity tier. Does that mean that the actual retention on performance tier is 7 + 14 = 21 days?
Correct. A chain is inactive after a new full backup was created. It's 7 days of active chain + 14 days of waiting. Then the backup will removed from the performance tier.
I need some clarity as to how many days I should set for each setting. My main goal is to keep backups for 7 days and after 7 days it should automatically delete from performance and capacity tier with object storage on.
With such business requirements, you don't require the move policy.
Just configure "copy" policy, object lock to 7 days and job retention to 7 days. Copy Policy doesn't require regurlar full backups.

Or starting with V12, use a Backup Job which points to your local disk. And a Backup Copy job which points directly to object storage. No SOBR required.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
razor2refs
Influencer

Post by razor2refs »

With such business configuration, you don't require the move policy.
Just configure "copy" policy, object lock to 7 days and job retention to 7 days. Copy Policy doesn't require regurlar full backups.

Or starting with V12, use a Backup Job which points to your local disk. And a Backup Copy job which points directly to object storage. No SOBR required.
I am on trial of V12 and plan to purchase the license. If I use the first option, everything should be set to 7 days right? And after seven days, when the new full synthetic backup is created, past 7 days worth of backups is removed from local as well as object storage?
If I use the second option, does the backup copyjob begin right after backup job completes? In the first option with copy box checked, right after local backup, the backup to capacity storage begins.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

If I use the first option, everything should be set to 7 days right? And after seven days, when the new full synthetic backup is created, past 7 days worth of backups is removed from local as well as object storage?
Yes. With just Copy Policy for capacity tier, backup job without regulars fulls, 7 days retention.
If I use the second option, does the backup copyjob begin right after backup job completes? In the first option with copy box checked, right after local backup, the backup to capacity storage begins.
You can use an immediate backup copy job. It allows you to copy all new restore points immediately after a source job has created them.

Best,
Fabian
razor2refs
Influencer

Post by razor2refs »

Okay, I setup the retention policy of everything as 7 days but I see restore points being created until today (10th day). Is there a reason why?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Have you still enabled regular fulls? Then 7-14 days of restore points are expected with a retention policy of 7 days.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
razor2refs
Influencer

Post by razor2refs »

I am not sure how to check. I see that day 1 was full backup and day 8 was full. There were incremental backups everyday between day 1 and 8 and after day 8.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Then you create weekly full backups.
Please follow the link I provided in my last comment. It explains why you see more than 7 days of backups.
If we would delete the oldest Full Backup, you won't be able to restore from any of the incremental backups of that chain.
The older chain can only be deleted after the new chain reaches 7 days of backups.

Best,
Fabian