Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

v5

Post by frankive »

I am having a hard time finding any information regarind the v5 which will come this month.
Does anyone have a sources for new features, compability and what we need to know?
Was asked by deploy this for a customer this morning from the new v12 vbr console, but doesnt seem like the azure plugin for vbr is updated since it said you would need v11a..

I just saw Veeam had a webinar for v5 2 days ago, sorry I missed that, but perhaps there is a recording?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: v5

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

Hi Frank,

There should be a recording available of it. I'll try to figure out if I can get you a link for it.

Below is a list of some of the features:
- Immutability: benefit from immutable backups in Azure Blob
- Enterprise scalability: major enhancements to protect large-scale environments with a single appliance
- Integration with the Veeam Service Provider Console
- Direct support for VUL licenses
- OAuth2 support

The release is planned for later this month as well as an updated plugin.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Thanks, appreciate it. Hopefully we can backup to Wasabi? perhaps by adding the repository in VCC/VSPC?
Dont like the idea of protecting a workload in azure. to azure..

We have some pretty small customers, with 1-4 Vms in their Azureenvironment. Today we are protecting those with Veeam Agents.
What would be the pre/cons by using agents vs using veeam backup for azure to protect these workloads?
both from a techincal and cost-perspective.

Veeam agent works with wasabi through our VCC/VSPC already.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Frank,
frankive wrote:Thanks, appreciate it. Hopefully we can backup to Wasabi? perhaps by adding the repository in VCC/VSPC?
Dont like the idea of protecting a workload in azure. to azure..
No, going directly to another object storage vendor is not part of the upcoming release. However, you can do that even today if you have Veeam B&R managing those appliances (use backup copy jobs to copy data to another repository)

frankive wrote:We have some pretty small customers, with 1-4 Vms in their Azureenvironment. Today we are protecting those with Veeam Agents.
What would be the pre/cons by using agents vs using veeam backup for azure to protect these workloads?
both from a techincal and cost-perspective.
Not sure about the cost, at least the cost to Veeam will be the same, however, I would recommend using the native tool for generic VMs that do not require special in-guest OS handling, and whenever you have a highly transactional application that requires restore capabilities available in Veeam B&R, then I would go with Agents. Additionally, if you're managing everything through VSPC, then both solutions would be possible to implement.

Finally, if you want to go our of Azure, then probably Agents is the better choice since you can configure object storage repositories starting from the last version update.

Hope it helps!
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Thanks!
I am leaning against to continue the usage of Veeam agents in Azure, think it gives me a lot of flexbility and extremeley lov rpo if we need. And the direct backup to Wasabi is brilliant.

What is your main argument for using native tool for generic vms vs Veeam agent? I am actually having "problems" to see any benefits, if any? Perhaps the cpu/memory usage inside the vm itself during backup perhaps in favour of the generic?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hey Frank,

Yes, if existing solution works for you and now gives capabilities of using another object storage, then I would stick to it.
frankive wrote:What is your main argument for using native tool for generic vms vs Veeam agent? I am actually having "problems" to see any benefits, if any? Perhaps the cpu/memory usage inside the vm itself during backup perhaps in favour of the generic?
One of the benefits is storage tiering (archiving), snapshots for daily backups, and fewer management tasks when dealing with 1 backup appliance vs multiple agents. These are the first things that come to my mind, but anyway everything depends on your specific case. There is no advantage of one solution over another one, both have their own benefits.

Thanks!
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

The recording of the session is now also available on YouTube.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen