Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BastianR82
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bastian Reichart

Veeam VBR 12 copy job over wan

Post by BastianR82 »

Hello all,

I have a small customer who backs up their Hyper-V VMs and host with VBR 12 (Community Edition).
Currently the backup is running to a Synology NAS via NFS share.

For the offsite backup, until now the complete backup was always backed up via Synology Hyper-Backup via site2site VPN to a second Synology NAS at his home.
Unfortunately it is not practical to copy the complete 41 days retention over WAN. At the second site 5 days are enough.

Now my thought was to do this with a copy job, and shorter retention. So copy job to a second share at the main site, and then sync that to the second NAS.

If I understand correctly, but the copy job would change the retention after each backup the full backup, which is also not ideal for copying over WAN.

But if I do the copy job directly over WAN to the second synology, this problem remains, right?

Next idea: Copy job to a Linux VM at the second location (with transport service), which is then connected to the second NAS.

If the transport services are running on the VM, who will take care of the merge if retention time is over? Does that run completely on the second site via the VM and the NAS, or is that also going via WAN?

Thanks for your ideas,
Bastian
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam VBR 12 copy job over wan

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Bastian
I have a small customer who backs up their Hyper-V VMs and host with VBR 12 (Community Edition).
First I want to inform you about the license requirement. That customer must be licensed. Your are violating our EULA if you provide this customer any services (troubleshooting, consulting, implementation) for a free Veeam product.
https://www.veeam.com/eula.html (Chapter 4)
Next idea: Copy job to a Linux VM at the second location (with transport service), which is then connected to the second NAS.
If the transport services are running on the VM, who will take care of the merge if retention time is over? Does that run completely on the second site via the VM and the NAS, or is that also going via WAN?
If the NAS is on a second side, you will get the best performance with having the repository/gateway server in that location.
When you have those on the second location, only incremental data is transferred between proxy data mover and repository/gateway data mover. Reading the entire backup for merging and health checks will be done by the repository/gateway data mover.

After you solved this customers license situation, you can also use WAN Accelerator. WAN Accelerators optimizes data traffic for backup copy and replication jobs between two locations:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
BastianR82
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bastian Reichart

Post by BastianR82 »

Hello Fabian,

first of all thank you very much for your answer!

I have been supporting the customer for a short time, and found the setup there.
But good to know that I am not even allowed to offer support for it according to the EULA. That's a good argument for the customer to buy a license. I will clarify this with him immediately. Thanks for the hint!

WAN Accelerator is unfortunately not an option, as there is no Windows Server available at the second location.

You wrote: "If the NAS is on a second side, you will get the best performance with having the repository/gateway server in that location."

Is it sufficient to have a Linux VM at the other site, and mount it as a repository (transport services will be installed automatically then, after all), or is the gateway server something else again?

Thank you,
Bastian
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello Bastian

You need a Gateway server, if you use the NAS as SMB or NFS share repository.
A gateway server is not required when you connect the NAS with iSCSI to Windows or Linux machine.

This can be a physical or virtual machine.

Is it sufficient to have a Linux VM at the other site, and mount it as a repository (transport services will be installed automatically then, after all),
To answer your question, yes. It will optimize backup job durations.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software