Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Re: Critical V11 and V12 vunerablility?

Post by DanielJ »

But I'm right now looking at how the patch updates the transport service on component servers, for the installations I have patched so far. Will this require us to enable ssh on hardened repositories, when I get to those? Then, how can it be true that "the patch only updates the VBR server"?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Are you talking about the V12 patch? May be I'm wrong then, I assumed it patches the backup server only from what I heard about the vulnerability.

If you're on V12, you should not need to enable SSH on hardened repositories (a new V12 feature).
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

It seems like it patches all (Windows) mount servers. The hardened repository didn't require any updates after this patch.
Component [Mount Server] on the host [XYZ] has been updated
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, the vulnerability is in the Mount service component, so this makes sense.
renatorichina
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Renato Richina

[MERGED]About Vulnerability CV-2023-27532

Post by renatorichina »

Maybee a stupid question, but i like to understand, how critical this vunerability is and how quick we should patch dozen of customer servers:

Do i see it right, that if the Veeam Server is NOT reachable from the internet (what should not be the case for sure), then this vulnerability can not be exploited from outside the customers LAN, right? For sure it could be exposed by an attack from inside the LAN, but then "we" would have already another problem.

Or do i miss something?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Your understanding is correct and you're not missing anything.

The vulnerability is useful for attackers to move laterally once they have already penetrated the backup infrastructure network perimeter.

Here's an article with the same conclusion > https://thestack.technology/veeam-vulne ... y-warning/
r2d2
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: arth

[MERGED] Re: Question about vulnerability

Post by r2d2 »

Please let me know how this issue could be reproduced to check if the update fixed it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello Arth

Providing this information would provide potential attackers a step by step guide and thus accelerate active exploitation.

If you have patched your backup server, or alternatively blocked communication to the port (TCP 9401 by default), then the security vulnerability is remediated.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Tom_LeFx
Enthusiast

Post by Tom_LeFx »

What is the recommended way to address this for Veeam B&R community edition? I assume it's equally affected?
The patches are only for 11a Standard - and the CE is listed as v11.
Can I still install the update? Do I need to do a full reinstall?
kevin.boddy
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Kevin Boddy

Post by kevin.boddy »

Hi,

Just received the email notification this evening. Is there a better way to get these types of notifications faster?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Subscribe to immediate notices about Security Advisories, as suggested on the previous page.

Email marketing explained to me they cannot send 500K emails in one day without Veeam getting blocked for spam all over the world, so they can only do it across a few days.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Tom_LeFx wrote: Mar 09, 2023 4:20 pm What is the recommended way to address this for Veeam B&R community edition? I assume it's equally affected?
The patches are only for 11a Standard - and the CE is listed as v11.
Can I still install the update? Do I need to do a full reinstall?
Since most likely you have a all-in-one install, you could just block the TCP port and be done with this.

But why not upgrade to V12?
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Post by mkretzer »

@Gostev I understand your mail argument. So maybe you should have a forum to announce such things... Like a R&D Forum? With a big banner "ALERT! Patch your systems".
As i read about this on reddit i was REALLY confused to find nothing about this here! This is the first location i would expect such a information to pop up.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Regnor wrote: Mar 07, 2023 8:16 pm @Anton: Do only customers with active contracts get such notifications? I haven't received this one nor another critical issue some time ago, but do get all other general notifications(releases, events,...).
Just as an update to my post. I did receive the email (twice) yesterday, so they're also get sent to Veeam accounts which don't have a license/contract.
kevin.boddy
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Kevin Boddy

Post by kevin.boddy »

I also received two notifications as did all my colleagues yesterday. Maybe if only one notification is sent, it wouldn't have the potential to be flagged as spam.

I will log a case now to check whether I am subscribed to the Veeam Support KB. I am pretty sure I have done this all before. There does not seem to be any confirmation email or any way to check that I can see.

I still don't see why it gets posted on Reddit first.
Tom_LeFx
Enthusiast

Post by Tom_LeFx »

Gostev wrote: Mar 09, 2023 6:51 pm Since most likely you have a all-in-one install, you could just block the TCP port and be done with this.

But why not upgrade to V12?
@Gostev
Because I wasn't aware it's there yet :-D

But for more specifics on the installation - not sure, if our setup qualifies as all-in-one:
We have a Veeam Backup-server running as a VM on a Hyper-V host, which backups to 2 Linux-Repos - so it is - to my understanding - not all in one, because the Repos are external machines and the Hyper-V host is the proxy, because it has the best performance for it.

So Upddate to Veam 12 Community and then I'm good?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Strange, you should have received an in-product notification about V12 last week, as the update server was initialized with the V12 notification for all CE installs. But anyway - yes, that's totally what I would do. Your install is not all-in-one.
stfconsulting
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: S Furman

Post by stfconsulting » 1 person likes this post

We ran the patch on 3 VBR servers in the last few days and it worked just fine.
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Post by guitarfish »

I installed the patch on 4 VBR servers 3 days ago. Backup, Backup Copy, and Replication jobs all working fine.
IanBolton
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: IanE

Post by IanBolton »

Can I just clarify something....

Has the 'patch' for V11a been pulled, with the 'fix' now being to upgrade to v12?

As per https://www.veeam.com/kb4420?ad=in-text-link
This article has two download links:

Patch — Use this if you are running at least Veeam Backup & Replication 12 GA (build 12.0.0.1420). After updating, the build number will be 12.0.0.1420 P20230223.
ISO — Use this if you are running any Veeam Backup & Replication version between 10a (10.0.1.4854) and 11a (11.0.1.1261 P20230227), to upgrade to version 12 P20230223. Remember to review the Upgrade Checklist as part of your upgrade process.
So if I'm running 11a I have to go to 12?!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

No, there is also a patch for V11a:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4245
IanBolton
Enthusiast

Post by IanBolton »

Thanks, my bad.
romulanvox
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: KNL

Post by romulanvox »

I had the initial impression that this vulnerability only affects Windows Mount Servers connecting to the VBR's TCP port 9401 during Windows FLR.

What I discovered during a Linux FLR test was that the VBR's TCP port 9401 is being connected by an external Windows Mount Server during the initial phase where the Linux Mount Server mounts the backups and displays backup's contents the VBR's File Explorer.

Once the VBR's File Explorer reads the backup file contents and displays the folder structures, the VBR's TCP port 9401 no longer has any connections.

Hence, for those who just can't patch your VBRs immediately and may need to do FLRs, you'll need to unblock the VBR's TCP port 9401 during the initial part of the FLR process.
M4rco
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Post by M4rco »

My feedback on the v11a patch update.

We have a Veeam Enterprise Manager instance where we have the VBR console component installed as we run Powershell scripts which connect to our individual VBR servers for collecting monitoring data. It took us some headscratching to finally conclude we need to install the VBR patch on our Veeam Enterprise Manager server in order to get the VBR console component upgraded. (We could not find any documentation stating you may need to install the VBR patch on another type of Veeam server.)

After that we ran in some more headscratching as it turns out the connect-vbrserver cmdlet has its Powershell session corrupted when you try to connect to a non-updated VBR server. When the Powershell session is corrupted you also can not connect to an upgraded VBR server anymore.
IanBolton
Enthusiast

Post by IanBolton »

If you had run the console on that EM server, attempting to connect to the patched VBR server, it would have prompted you to upgrade?
rgmueller
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by rgmueller »

Is there a way to verify the issue has been fixed once the patch has been installed?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

@M4rco
Console and PowerShell Modules can only manage backup server with the same version.
The console is normally updated when you first connect to the updated VBR server.
Maybe we can some note in our user guide.

@rgmueller
Unfortunately we cannot provide a step to step guide on how to test the update.
Please see my previous answer in this topic:
post479666.html#p479666

Best,
Fabian
rgmueller
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by rgmueller »

@Mildur,

That is what I thought. I was anticipating questions from my change management team about knowing how to tell if resolved or not. Thank you.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

If patch installation was successful, you can tell them the issue is fixed for that environment.
You can check the build number in the veeam console:

- v12 (build 12.0.0.1420 P20230223)
- v11a (build 11.0.1.1261 P20230227)

Best,
Fabian
M4rco
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Post by M4rco »

Mildur wrote: Mar 16, 2023 5:33 pm @M4rco
Console and PowerShell Modules can only manage backup server with the same version.
The console is normally updated when you first connect to the updated VBR server.
Maybe we can some note in our user guide.
I was not aware console would be automatically updated when connecting to an updated VBR server. Are the Powershell modules updated at the same time?