Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
eddyy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: addison lim

Doing recovery from recovery media

Post by eddyy »

Hi

I would like to do a server recovery from the recovery media that I created. Do I have to install the OS first before attempting the recovery?

Thank you for your responses in advanced.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Doing recovery from recovery media

Post by Mildur »

Hi Addison

Welcome to the forum.
You can start the recovery without installing an operating system. Boot your machine from the recovery media and start the restore:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
eddyy
Novice

Post by eddyy »

Hi Fabian,

Thank you for your reply.

The existing HDD that OS was originally installed on is corrupted and got replaced. Would like to do the recovery and restore the backup into the new HDD is it possible?

When I tried recovery I have got the “local host not exist” hence checking should I install the OS first to attempt the recovery again.

Thank you
doktornotor
Enthusiast
Liked: 29 times

Post by doktornotor »

The existing HDD that OS was originally installed on is corrupted and got replaced. Would like to do the recovery and restore the backup into the new HDD is it possible?
That's the whole point of the bare metal restore, isn't it? You don't install the OS first.

When exactly do you get the Server 'localhost' does not exist or access denied message? Is the network running and configured properly in the PE?
eddyy
Novice

Post by eddyy »

Hi doktornotor,

Thank you very much for your response. I am feeling positive again after your response.

The error message came up a few minutes after I clicked on bare metal restore. While doing so the network is connected and I did not configure anything in the PE. I basically just plug in the recovery USB and the backup. Boot from the recovery USB using one-stop boot menu in Boot manager. I have spent quite abit of time just to get this recovery USB to boot.

May I ask what configuration should it be?

Again really appreciate any help I can get.

Many thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Addison

Step 2 in the link I provided explains how you can configure your network after booting from the recovery media.

If the guide is not clear, please let me know and I can provide more information.

Best,
Fabian
eddyy
Novice

Post by eddyy »

Hi Fabian,

Thank you for your responses and suggestions.

I have checked the network and it's active and it is inheriting the IP address of the previous server and I have tried to do recovery from this. I have also tried to give it another IP and also tried DHCP. All resulted in the same error.

Could it be it cannot read the Veeam backup drive. My Veeam backup drive in an external HDD but it was still successfully backing up until the day the server failed.
When I plug this backup drive to a windows 10 laptop I cannot see it in the File explorer but I can see it in disk management. Should I assign a letter/path to this backup drive for the recovery media to see? Am I making sense?

Apology I this is not making sense and really appreciate your patient and trying to help.

Many thanks,

Eddyy
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Eddy

A USB disk should get a new drive letter in the recovery environment. You can assign a drive letter on another machine to check the disks content. Please note: Don't do it if the disk is formatted with reFS filesystem. It may corrupt the filesystem with the backups.
But I don't believe that the cause of the "localhost not exist" issue. That sounds more network related.

If Disk is not recognized by your computer, you can provide disk drivers in step 4:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60

For further analyzes, I suggest to open a support case. Please don't forget to share the case number with me.

Best,
Fabian
eddyy
Novice

Post by eddyy »

Hi Fabian,

Thank you for your response.

That's what I think about the USB disk part like your reply which I don't think is the cause of my issue. I don't get up to the part that allows selecting the restore point yet. I got the 'Localhost file not exist or access denied' after I selected bare metal restore.
I have tried recreated the virtual disk in raid 1 mode a couple of times and also changed the BIOS boot mode from bios to UEFI and tried 2 bootable USBs for Veeam recovery media as well.

I have opened a support case 05962654.

Thanks again.

Eddyy