Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Paul

Linux agent backup

Post by stewsie »

Hi

I am trying to backup a physical Linux host. I am not the Linux expert so I sent the veeam_agent_linux_6_0_release_notes.pdf to the Linux team. They installed the agent and have told me that the permissions are correct. I have created a backup job in Veeam 11 and created a credential using keys. I have selected to elevate account privileges automatically but not selected the sudoers or su options.

When I attempt to rescan the host that has been added to the inventory I receive the following message

Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to server name Error: Unable to create elevated SSH connection: sudo failed and failover to su option is disabled

The agent has already been installed.

Some of the documentation I have found appears to conflict so could anyone please guide me in the right direction of what needs to be done?

I have not yet raised a support call as I hope this is just something simple that has been missed

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Linux agent backup

Post by Mildur »

Hi Paul
I have selected to elevate account privileges automatically but not selected the sudoers or su options.
Does this user have sudo permissions (sudo usermod -aG sudo youruser)?

You can also use the "pre-installed protection group". You don't have to store any credentials on your VBR server for the agents.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
With such agents, your Linux Team can install the agent and import the configuration via XML file.
The agent will then connect to the Veeam Backup & Replication server to get the information about assigned job policies.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
moustafa_hindawi
Veeam Legend
Liked: never
Full Name: Moustafa Hindawi

Post by moustafa_hindawi »

stewsie
Veteran

Post by stewsie »

Mildur wrote: Mar 08, 2023 2:46 pm Hi Paul

Does this user have sudo permissions (sudo usermod -aG sudo youruser)?

You can also use the "pre-installed protection group". You don't have to store any credentials on your VBR server for the agents.
With such agents, your Linux Team can install the agent and import the configuration via XML file.
The agent will then connect to the Veeam Backup & Replication server to get the information about assigned job policies.

Best,
Fabian
The user doesn't have sudo permission on the server
stewsie
Veteran

Post by stewsie »

moustafa_hindawi wrote: Mar 08, 2023 3:06 pm Check this KB: https://www.veeam.com/kb1512
We are using keys and not the password option
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

stewsie wrote: Mar 08, 2023 3:30 pm The user doesn't have sudo permission on the server
Initially you need a user account with either root or sudo permission to add your Linux Server to a protection group or to a backup job.
In V12 you can use Single-Use Credentials to deploy a management agent, but this also requires root/sudo permission for the initial deployment. Or you can use protection group type "pre-installed protection group" if you want to install the agents manually as you already have done. No User will be required on the VBR server.
moustafa_hindawi wrote: Mar 08, 2023 3:06 pm Check this KB: https://www.veeam.com/kb1512
Please don't post KB articles valid in Veeam v9.5 and earlier.
They have no values for this topic. Also the KB article was about managed Linux Server (used as a linux repository), not Agent backup.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
stewsie
Veteran

Post by stewsie »

I have managed to get this working

I created a protection group with agent already installed option

This is now working but it is strange that I can only see limited information n the VBR console and have to ask my Linux colleague to confirm settings.

Thanks all for your help and advice
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Since there is no clear and conclusive summary on the subject, I am going to leave my own for the future readers:

The user that is used to deploy Linux agent onto the target machine must be either 'root' or have sudo permissions.

If you go with the latter option, make sure to check the 'elevate automatically' checkbox.

This will work only if the user is already a sudoer. In case it's not a sudoer yet, you need to either make it a sudoer manually (by adding it to the 'wheel' linux group, for example), or select 'add account to the sudoers file' so that Veeam can do it for you.

Please note that on some systems 'root' password is required for elevation via sudo.

@stewsie,
it is strange that I can only see limited information n the VBR console and have to ask my Linux colleague to confirm settings.
It seems that your colleagues have installed the agent manually and then imported an .xml file. This mode puts some limitations compared to the other modes ('managed by agent' and 'managed by VBR').

Thank you!