Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DarkAlman
Influencer
Liked: never

vCenter Recovery Tool - can't see database

Post by DarkAlman »

Stuck in a sticking situation where our vCenter pooped itself and we had to build a new one.

I've used the vCenter Recovery Tool from Veeam numerous times in the past with good success, but can't get it to run in this case due to a database error.

Veeam is running, the database is definately available. I assume it's a SQL setting we are missing but I'm stuck and of course this tool isn't officially supported...

Any one got any ideas?

It references a log that we can't find either...

*Error: Microsoft SQL server hosting the configuration database is currently unavailable, Possible reasons are a heavy load, networking issue, server reboot, or hot backup.*

*Please wait, and try again later*

*Error Information:*

*SQL Server is not available*

*See log for more details*
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: vCenter Recovery Tool - can't see database

Post by Mildur »

Hello DarkAlman
I've used the vCenter Recovery Tool from Veeam
Are you talking about our vCenter Migration Utility? --> https://www.veeam.com/kb2136
If not, please share a link. I have not heard of a vCenter Recovery Tool from Veeam.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DarkAlman
Influencer

Post by DarkAlman »

Yes that is correct
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thanks.
You can run the tool again and check the latest log files, if you can find some errors: C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup
May I know, is your Veeam configuration database running on PostgreSQL or Microsoft SQL Server?

Please restore your vCenter configuration from a vCenter Native File-Based Backup, if you cannot find the cause in the logs. You can also restore from an image level backup.
If you didn't created such backups, I recommend to read our and VmWare's KB article and create such backups for the new appliance:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2328
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/59230

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DarkAlman
Influencer

Post by DarkAlman »

Its Veeam on top of MS SQL

It's a net-new vCenter. We have our VM replicas going again but the backups are the problem

The backups in this case are in a large mono-job and there isn't enough space to reseed so we need to use the utility to update the existing Backup job to recognize the new VM UUIDs