Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Migrate Scaleout Repo to immutable storage

Post by collinp »

We have existing Scaleout Repo's with cloud copy enabled to store long-term retention in Azure. We have existing Azure Storage Accounts and existing containers inside that do not have immutable storage configured. It is my understanding that in order to configure immutable storage, we have to build brand-new containers in our Azure storage accounts with the immutability option enabled. So we can't enable our existing backups to immutable. This is a large environment. Is there a way that we can cutover from Azure non-immutable containers to immutable containers seamlessly? I read that you can add multiple Azure Object Repo's within the Scaleout repo so theoretically we can add a second object repo with immutability enabled. But then the Scaleout will spread out the backups between the existing object repo (non immutable) and the new one (immutable). We want to completely move all backups to the new immutable one. Terabytes of info
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2282 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Migrate Scaleout Repo to immutable storage

Post by Mildur »

Hi Collin

You cannot enable immutability on an object storage already added to Veeam.
Also you cannot mix object storages with different immutability settings in a capacity tier.

Supported method is downloading backups from your current capacity tier, replace the capacity tier with a new object storage with immutability enabled and then start the offload again:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... -providers

May I know, is this a Veeam Cloud Connect Backup Server?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software