Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
EskBackupGuy23
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Crypto Ron

SureBackup Job Fails with Destination Host Unreachable

Post by EskBackupGuy23 »

Hello all -

I setup Veeam Lab with multiple VLANs, Active Directory, etc and everything works fabulously with it. HOWEVER... When I try to add a server from our VLAN 1, I get Destination host unreachable when SureBackup job tries to bring it online. Here is the network configuration for VLAN 1

IP: 10.3.1.x
Subnet: 255.240.0.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.x

When I build the Virtual Lab and add the NIC for that network, I select the Production VLAN 1 network on the ESX Host. A subnet mask of 255.240.0.0 should recognize a range from 10.0.0.1 - 10.15.255.254
Its almost like SureBackup is expecting to see a Gateway of 10.3.1.x based on the IP I am using for the server in the SureBackup job which is 10.3.1.x. But, as you see, I am using a Gateway of 10.0.0.x which should be sufficient based on the subnet. I am not sure why that subnet was configured for 1 million + addresses lol. Maybe someone had high hopes back in the day. It's just what I have to work with at the moment :mrgreen:

Hopefully, this makes sense. Is this a possible bug in 11 or am I missing something here?

Per the forum requirements, I have submitted a case to Veeam Support regarding this issue. Case #05962986

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ron
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: SureBackup Job Fails with Destination Host Unreachable

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ron

You can configure the Gateway Address from your network in the virtual lab when using "Advanced single-host" networking mode.
Have you tried that? On this screen, you have to provide your Gateway IP 10.0.0.x and your subnet mask:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
EskBackupGuy23
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Crypto Ron

Re: SureBackup Job Fails with Destination Host Unreachable

Post by EskBackupGuy23 »

Fabian -

Yes I did and right after I saw your post I realized that my LAB's proxy had and IP address that was on a different subnet that my Veeam B&R server. This required an extra hop which caused intermittent problems with mapping NICS and performing PING tests. From what I am seeing you have to have the proxy on the same subnet as the Veeam B&R to avoid conflicts like the one I was having.

Thank you for your post sir! Greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ron