Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MichaelZipperer0
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Zipperer

Retention Sejsestion

Post by MichaelZipperer0 »

This is probably a very not widely needed request but it would be nice to be able to manually mark backups mainly older backups as Weekly, Monthly, or Yearly. very specifically the yearly in my case.
we have had the veeam backup and replication product for some time basically since before the option to mark retention existed that coupled with us being a medical facility is making it hard to do cleanup work I can't just set what I want and leave it because it would clean/delete needed backups as a medical facility we are required to keep backups as far back as Years and we only started adding the retention markings back in March of last year in our critical Jobs case so I am needing to do a lot of exports to retain those backups and properly allow the retention to do its job. which is causing our cloud storage to grow quite a lot. at its peak we hit a little over 600TB in Azure, it's slowly going down as I get more jobs to be able to be set to the needed retention but Im sure we are not the only company with this dilemma. We have had Veeam sins Version 9 I Think 2019 is when we purchased the product and just today found out about this forms page from a veeam tech if anyone is wondering why I have never posted before.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Retention Sejsestion

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello,
So what you have are old chains with the full and some incremental, and you want to mark some of those full as weekly, monthly yearly? And then after have an option that says delete old backups from this date until this date, but keeping the ones tagged as GFS, yes ?

Sounds interesting, I wonder if there is any powershell to achieve this.

Thank you for the feature request.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Post by DanielJ »

+1 for being able to assign GFS settings to imported backups. One use case for this would be when a customer goes to a new service provider and requests to bring their GFS backups with them. The new service provider would then be able to just "set and forget" the GFS settings, instead of having to do calendar-reminder-driven manual expiration.
MichaelZipperer0
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Zipperer

Post by MichaelZipperer0 »

Yes (Jorgedlcruz) exactly. I have a few Jobs that I am having to manually Export to wich takes quite some time for some of these machines that are over a few TB it be a lot nicer to just be able to tag them and let GFS take over from there.