Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlertSistem
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Oldfield

Credential for backup server

Post by AlertSistem »

In my Veeam B&R configuration there are 3 server:
  1. Veeam Backup Server (which works as Prosy server too)
  2. Veeam Backup Proxy
  3. Veeam Backup Repository
It has been created a special domain account ('ServiceV') which has local administrator privileges on all 3 Veeam server.
Server at point 2,3 is using 'ServiceV' account in Veeam Configuration while the backup server ha no credentials.
Do you know if necessary to use the same credentials for this server ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Credential for backup server

Post by Mildur »

Hello Mike

Welcome to the forum.
The main backup server doesn't require any credentials. Were you asked to provide credentials anywhere for the Veeam Backup Server?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AlertSistem
Influencer

Post by AlertSistem »

AlertSistem wrote: Mar 28, 2023 6:55 am Were you asked to provide credentials anywhere for the Veeam Backup Server?
No credentials are requested.
My doubt originates in upgrade (I'll make it soon) from 10.0.1 to 11a because this process asks "service account" and I thought to type the same domain user 'ServiceV".
I ask myself if this account (which I typed) of upgrade process is used to configure automatically again only proxy and repository server; I analyzed all server configuration to understand where this account was used.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mike

Thanks.
This Account will be the Service Account (Log on As) for all Veeam services:

It's recommended to run the backup services under LOCAL SYSTEM.
A service account may be necessary if you run your configuration database on a remote MSSQL server.

Best,
Fabian
AlertSistem
Influencer

Post by AlertSistem »

AlertSistem wrote: Mar 28, 2023 8:40 am This Account will be the Service Account (Log on As) for all Veeam services:
I run services.msc and I found out all my Veeam services run as Local System account.

Neverthless in Veeam Backup & Replication , Backup Infrastructure, Managed Servers, Microsoft Windows, highlighting server (proxy and repository server) and click on properities, click on credentials says server credentials: "ServiceV".
Why ?!
Mildur
Product Manager

The account you can specify during installation only affects the user account under which the services on the main backup server are logged in.
Neverthless in Veeam Backup & Replication , Backup Infrastructure, Managed Servers, Microsoft Windows, highlighting server (proxy and repository server) and click on properities, click on credentials says server credentials: "ServiceV".
I understand that your repository and proxy are on a different server than the backup server. So Veeam needs those credentials that you see to connect to those Windows machines. To manage them and to install our repository and proxy components. This was done manually by a backup administrator after installation.

Best,
Fabian
AlertSistem
Influencer

Post by AlertSistem »

AlertSistem wrote: Mar 28, 2023 9:11 am The account you can specify during installation only affects the user account under which the services on the main backup server are logged in.
So during upgrade process I have to specify the Local System account, Veeam backup services run under LOCAL SYSTEM as in your environment.
So Veeam needs those credentials that you see to connect to those Windows machines. To manage them and to install our repository and proxy components
Upgrade process will not change credentials (user account) to connect to those Windows machines ?
I understand that your repository and proxy are on a different server than the backup server
Yes.
Mildur
Product Manager

Correct.

Best,
Fabian
AlertSistem