Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Marc K

Automatic (Delayed Start)

Post by mkaec »

Why do the bulk of Veeam B&R services install with a startup type of Automatic (Delayed Start)? The delayed start option is there to allow a service to wait to allow the system to boot faster and allow more important services to get going. But the best practice for B&R is for the system to be dedicated to it and for the system to not have any other duties. The Veeam services are the important services that need to start.

The way things are now, if I reboot the B&R server, I can't get into the console for several minutes after booting because the services are sitting there not yet started.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Automatic (Delayed Start)

Post by Mildur »

Hi Marc

This behavior exists since forever in our product.
Are there any other issues which affects your daily business by it? Or is it only opening the console?
How often do you reboot your Veeam server?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Marc K

Re: Automatic (Delayed Start)

Post by mkaec »

I think it's mostly opening the console. When an admistrator reboots the backup server as part of maintenance, the first thing he or she wants to do is make sure Veeam isn't in an error state.

It's not too often that I reboot the Veeam server. I did it the other day to install an SQL upgrade. Before that, I think it was during the upgrade from v11 to v12. When I did the SQL upgrade, I had a colleague observing and explained to him that we had to wait before verifying Veeam was working, otherwise we'd get an error trying to load the console. We had a conversation about that odd design choice in a product that likes to address the little details. (When we did the v12 upgrade, I remarked that it would be an easy upgrade with just a few clicks because the Veeam team had made an effort to make it as easy as possible.)