Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jonan1987
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Ander Gonzalez Calvo

I need help with scheduling jobs!

Post by jonan1987 »

Hello

I need help, I'm confused about how to schedule one of the backup job in my enterprise.

In my enterprise, we make a full backup of our files data the first saturday of each month. The we make incremental backups until the first saturday of the following month, when we make another full backup with his respectives incremental backups.
It will be like: 1 full backup - 30 incremental backups - 1 Full backup - 30 incremental backups.

My doubt is: I want to keep in my storage disk two whole months. But... if I choose 60 days for retention policy, when the second month will be complete the following full backup will erase the first full backup? Or it will keep two months, and when another two months of backups will be complete, the first two months will be erased?

for example: 1 Full backup - 30 incrementals - 1 full Backup - 30 incrementals - 1 Full backup - 30 incrementals - 1 full Backup - 30 incrementals and then, the first two full backups and their respectives incrementals will be erased, keeping always only 2 months?

Sorry for my doubts and also for my poor english, I hope that you can understand me and also help me

Bye
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Re: I need help with scheduling jobs!

Post by tfloor »

When using forward incrementals it will not overwrite the first full, because otherwise all the increments that are based on te first full will be useless.
Do you use scheduled active fulls?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jonan1987 wrote:for example: 1 Full backup - 30 incrementals - 1 full Backup - 30 incrementals - 1 Full backup - 30 incrementals - 1 full Backup - 30 incrementals and then, the first two full backups and their respectives incrementals will be erased, keeping always only 2 months?
Assuming that you have specified 60 days as a retention policy setting, the first removal operation will be performed at the beginning of the 4th month, in other words once you have 90 days of backups, the first 30 days will be removed.
jonan1987
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Ander Gonzalez Calvo

Post by jonan1987 »

tfloor wrote:When using forward incrementals it will not overwrite the first full, because otherwise all the increments that are based on te first full will be useless.
Do you use scheduled active fulls?
Yes, i will use scheduled active fills at the first saturday of each mont
Vitaliy S. wrote: Assuming that you have specified 60 days as a retention policy setting, the first removal operation will be performed at the beginning of the 4th month, in other words once you have 90 days of backups, the first 30 days will be removed.
Thanks!! It was like I thought, but I wasn't sure about it
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Post by tfloor »

Great. So now you know how it works for sure.
Enjoy it