Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

SQL Object Restores Q

Post by tom11011 »

Hi all,

I have a team mate reporting that on our process of restoring DBs to the local server Veeam is installed on, for object level restores there is a blocker due to the SQL version be Express.

They would like me to consider upgrading from SQL2017 Express to SQL2017 Standard. Would like to hear any pros and cons.

Thank you.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SQL Object Restores Q

Post by PetrM »

Hi Tom,

I guess it's because databases that exceed 10 GB cannot be attached to the Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition.

The Express edition is the entry-level database, mostly for learning and building desktop and small server data-driven applications. The Standard edition provides data management and BI for small organizations to run their applications and supports common development tools for on-premises and cloud.

Thanks!
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

I notice veeam 12 wants to use postgresql how will that impact the choice of sql express vs sql standard?

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Basically, it should not impact the choice because you're talking about backend for the configuration database of Veeam B&R itself, it has nothing to do with the staging server that is needed for SQL objects restore or standalone database management. Moreover, you still have an option to choose the preferable database engine.

However, if you select Microsoft SQL and you're going to use Express edition as a staging system, the same 10 GB limitation will still be actual. If you select PostgreSQL, you won't be able to use Veeam B&R database instance as a staging system at all.

Thanks!
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for all the help.