Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
arsprod
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

offsite dr veeam copies

Post by arsprod »

I'm curious to know if anyone is using a product other than rsync to copy veeam files to an offsite dr location. All my satellite offices have p-p T1's, so it's a slow connection. Doing offsite veeam jobs doesn't work - veeam is too sensitive to connection drops. Rsync works great, but I'm not a linux guy and haven't found a windows version that includes scheduling. I'm currently trying comodo, but it's slow. Anything else I should look at? thanks,

Aaron
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: offsite dr veeam copies

Post by foggy »

Aaron, there are a lot of existing topics discussing different tools for offsite replication. I think the most popular are rsync, DFS-R, and Robocopy. Please use search to find some more information. Btw, this thread could be useful. Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

If rsync works great, why not just use the scheduling built in to Windows (Task Scheduler)?

Another option might be DeltaCopy, which is a Windows packaging of rsync with a simple GUI that includes a scheduler.
arsprod
Enthusiast
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

Post by arsprod »

Thanks gents - foggy, one of the problems is there are way too many threads on this subject. Reading them all is confusing and time-consuming (this is a plea to veeam to write up some best practices).

I've tried to set up windows tasks for rsync with limited success - I just don't know the rsync suffixes well enough to get it right. I've also used Deltacopy - it's scheduler doesn't seem to work reliably. I've not tried DFS-R, Robocopy, or Recoverpoint - so this thread was helpful. Thanks!

Aaron
markwyeth
Novice
Full Name: Mark Wyeth

Backups across a WAN

Post by markwyeth »

[merged]

I know there are many topics on this, but I haven't found any that solve our problem.

We have several large VM's and want to backup them across a 20MB WAN link dedicated to backup data. The problem we have found is the length of time the backups take and therefore the snapshot length.

What would be ideal is Veeam backup locally (short snapshot time) and replicate backup data to remote site. Is anyone doing this and what tools are being used to replicate the data? I couldn't find anyone doing this other than rsync. Anyone using a dedupe and replication tool like FalconStor?

Cheers Mark
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Mark, if you are looking for tools other than rsync, then some are mentioned in this thread above and also here.
pezku
Novice
Full Name: peter kovanko

Veeam Deployment for remote site local backups & WAN backup

Post by pezku »

[merged]

Hi,

We have a remote site where we have put up a backup proxy&repository. At the moment backups are working fine inside the remote site. We would also want to backup up the data to our primary site over a WAN link. What deployment scenario would best compliment this requirement?

For example:

Daily backups with reverse-incremental in remote site local backup proxy<->repository
Daily backups to our primary site with xxx method.

We only need the data to our primary site in case of fire, we don't want to add a DR site with replication if we can avoid that (no dedup&compression in replication?)

Thanks

Peter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Peter, v6 is already optimized to off-site backups out-of-box, so you can simply backup directly to offsite backup repository. As to the job configuration I would recommend using forward incremental backup mode as it produces less load on the target storage. Thanks!
pezku
Novice
Full Name: peter kovanko

Post by pezku »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Peter, v6 is already optimized to off-site backups out-of-box, so you can simply backup directly to offsite backup repository. As to the job configuration I would recommend using forward incremental backup mode as it produces less load on the target storage. Thanks!
Hi,

so from the same source VMware system i can take both local backups and remote backups at the same time? (of course on different times of day), and the incremental backup works normally even though i have two backup jobs for the same VM:s?

Peter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, actually this is covered in the sticky F.A.Q., please have a look:
VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS