Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Gene-MN
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gene M Kirschner

Feature Request - CIFS Statistics

Post by Gene-MN »

Good day all,
We recently were asked to restore a CIFS folder from B & R. Unfortunately we had no idea of the size of the restore nor how long it might take. During the entirety of the restore operation, Veeam never reported on the size nor estimated time remaining. The restore ultimately took 94+ hours to complete. We had several meetings with our stakeholders and nearly stopped the restore in favor of less reliable, non-Veeam, recovery methods. We would like to request some form of metrics with File Share restores at the onset of the restore operation to predict RTO.

We recognize the bad practice of allowing the size of this folder to grow to a size of 29 TB. It was a culmination of our stakeholders refusing to take action to cleanup and organize their File Share after several warnings. They are looking into it now... Contributing to the slow recovery was our chosen DAS storage - Chosen for sizing and price without regard to performance considerations.

In the end we did successfully recover the data but we were constantly asked to give an estimated time of completion by the stakeholders and at no point during the 94+ hour operation, given the information presented to me by the Veeam restore wizard, was I able to generate a reasonable response to the query.

Thanks!

Gene
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Feature Request - CIFS Statistics

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I guess you're talking about entire file share restore? If yes, did you have a look at the session Status that shows progress in %? And could you please clarify why you didn't use instant file share recovery?

Thanks!