Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
djp1973
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan Pirro

Error Codes

Post by djp1973 »

Does Veeam publish the potential error codes for Veeam Backup for M365 so that as an MSP I can set up alerting based on EVENT IDs that appear in the windows application and system logs?

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Error Codes

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dan

As far as I see, we don't log specific Veeam Backup for M365 tasks to windows event viewer. Have you an example of such event?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
djp1973
Novice

Post by djp1973 »

No I have not seen them which is why I asked for the list of the potential ones. So if Veeam writes nothing to the windows logs, how would I monitor the jobs without having to log into 97 customers servers and actually looking at veeam logs? It sounds really lacking to not write failures and or events to the actual event logs of the server its running on.

So I am clear here - you are stating that Veeam Backup for M365 writes no events to any windows logs for anything?
djp1973
Novice

Post by djp1973 »

I am looking for something like this for the M365 backups - yes I realize its not for M365 or v12. Its simply an example of the published events i see for everything except M365 Backup.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... vents.html
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dan

Yes, I understand your request.

May I ask, are you using Veeam Service Provider Console? It would make managing those 97 customer server much easier. You can use use v7 of the VSPC to manage and monitor all those VB365 v7 server. All Jobs from all customers viewable at one place.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/p ... tml?ver=70

Best,
Fabian
djp1973
Novice

Post by djp1973 »

yes I am an MSP and we have that console - however that console has no tie in to any monitoring. I need centralized monitoring. So when Veeam writes an event for B&R I can catch that event, generate a ticket and assign it to where it goes based on the code. The M365 software seems to be lacking in this which makes it a sub optimal and I just don't expect that from Veeam ESP since its so easy to write those codes to the event logs - and even more so on windows.

A person staring at a console is not monitoring and I'd like to know when an error occurs instead of finding out when someone goes to do a restore.

Thanks for your time and I will keep looking for a workaround or a different product if need be. I love Veeam and this is a great disappointment and I wish I knew about this shortcoming before I recommended it. Its just not something I would think anyone would assume is "missing" for a windows "program" - ESP from Veeam.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dan

I forwarded your request to a colleague of mine. I will check if there is a way to get those data directly from the VB365 server as you have requested.
however that console has no tie in to any monitoring. I need centralized monitoring.
Maybe you can share with us what is missing from the VSPC console? What do we have to add to the VSPC to make it more usable for your use case? Are you talking about integration with third party monitoring systems?

The console allows you to send out alarms for those servers:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/p ... tml?ver=70
- Microsoft 365 backup proxy connection state
- Microsoft 365 backup repository free space
- Microsoft 365 job session state
- Microsoft 365 license expiration
- Microsoft 365 server connection state
- Microsoft 365 server license exceeded

You can also use a single API request against the Service provider console to get the latest state of all backup jobs from all customers and store the output in your own monitoring system:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/r ... 5BackupJob

Best,
Fabian