Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
zlydk
Novice
Liked: 2 times

VAL6 Volume Level Backup reports SUCCESS, but only working for full/non-CBT backup

Post by zlydk »

Hello,

Been using VAL5 for a long time, upgraded to VAL6 when it became available.
Thought everything was going well - full and incremental backups all report SUCCESS.

Today I realized that changes to 1 (of 3) volumes is actually only backed up during full backup (or incremental after reboot).
On incremental backup (using CBT), any changes to the filesystem of that volume (/home), is not actually reflected in the created backup - also every incremental (using CBT) backup of that volume reports:
"Backed up md4 1 MB at xxx KB/s" - always 1MB.

All 3 volumes have the same setup - they are ext4 filesystems on mdraid 1 devices.
All 3 volumes reside on the same 2 physical disks.
Changes on any of the other 2 volumes, are reflected in the incremental (using CBT) backups.

Veeam: veeam-6.0.0.1060-1.sle15.x86_64
Blksnap: blksnap-kmp-default-6.0.0.1060_k5.14.21_150400.22-opensuse_leap15.4.x86_64
Installed from repo http://repository.veeam.com/backup/linu ... Leap_15.4/

My guess is it must be related to the blksnap - as full backups perfectly mirror the changes on that volume, but it puzzles me that only 1 volume is affected.

If anyone got a clue to solve this (or let me know what other information to share), I would appreciate the input :-)
zlydk
Novice

Re: VAL6 Volume Level Backup reports SUCCESS, but only working for full/non-CBT backup

Post by zlydk » 1 person likes this post

As I realise this is a technical issue that might require more troubleshooting, I also opened a support ticket under the "best-effort" scheme (I'm using the free edition), and included the log files.
Case # 05974778
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: VAL6 Volume Level Backup reports SUCCESS, but only working for full/non-CBT backup

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I asked the support team to raise the priority of the ticket as it looks quite interesting.

Thanks!
zlydk
Novice

Post by zlydk » 1 person likes this post

Thank you PTide,

I already received a promising response from the support team!:
this issue looks like a known one that should be fixed in the next update. We expect it to be released more or less soon. I'll keep this case on hold and will update you immediately once published.
zlydk
Novice

Post by zlydk »

Support case has been updated with the following information from Veeam:
new Cumulative Patch with the new Veeam Agent for Linux version was released, P20230412, it should have this issue fixed. Please, perform the upgrade and share the results with me.
https://www.veeam.com/kb4420
And my reply:
I can confirm that with the patch installed, CBT backup now includes modifications to the filesystem that was previously not backed up correctly.

Thank you for the quick action and response!
So this issue seems to have been resolved :-)

Thank you for your efforts and actions.