Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
leviu
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Identical job sets for local and object storage repos - warning?

Post by leviu »

Trying to configure a 3-2-1 for 365 Backups.
I've looked at the https://bp.veeam.com/vb365/guide/design/3-2-1.html and the only viable suggestion there (i.e. without using Veeam B&R) is to create 2 jobs: one for local backups and one for cloud (S3 in my case) backups.
This is quite a downgrade from the SOBR I am used to in B&R.

So I implement this: create a set of identical jobs, but with an object storage target. The next morning I get errors for "is already processed by another job" for certain items. Nothing from these items has been backed up due to the warning.
All the jobs are scheduled for 1AM.
Are these warning due to one job hogging that resource? Am I doing this right?

Additional question, can I copy the existing local repo to object storage? I don't want to move it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Identical job sets for local and object storage repos - warning?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Leviu
So I implement this: create a set of identical jobs, but with an object storage target. The next morning I get errors for "is already processed by another job" for certain items. Nothing from these items has been backed up due to the warning.
All the jobs are scheduled for 1AM.
Are these warning due to one job hogging that resource? Am I doing this right?
I wouldn't use two jobs against Microsoft 365. If you have a lot of SharePoint sites, you get throttled by Microsoft even faster. If an item is protected by two jobs which are started the same time, only one job will protect this item. This mechanism is to protect you against such throttling.
For a Copy of your backups, I would consider the following options:

Copy from jet db based repositories:
- Use Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Agent to take an application aware backup of your VB365 server. You will get a 1:1 copy of your repositories and VB365 configuration. You can write that backup to Tape or object storage with your VBR server. You can also use your VBR server to restore VB365 items from this backup.

Copy from object storage based repositories:
- You can use a backup copy job.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70
Additional question, can I copy the existing local repo to object storage? I don't want to move it.
Not directly. But you can use a VBR or Agent backup job to send a backup of the VB365 machine to object storage.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
leviu
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Post by leviu »

Involving B&R is not an ideal solution.
Some customers don't have B&R and if they want a cloud backup - they need to buy that as well? I doubt anyone would agree to that.

So, the issue is throttling only? What about that warning?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

So, the issue is throttling only?
Microsoft won't like it if you backup a large amount of objects at once. If two jobs are running at the same time, protecting the same objects, throttling becomes more likely.
What about that warning?
If you schedule those backup jobs in a way, that they won't run at the exact same time, the data should be backed up by both jobs just fine. At least one of those jobs should protect the source item when they are started at the same time, the other one should exclude it.

An example which will work:
- Run one Job at 10PM
- Run the other job at 2 AM (Check the end time of the first job to schedule this one right).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software