Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Failed to index guest file system

Post by marius roma »

I apologize for the very basic question.

After a test backup in a lab environment I get an error saying:

"Failed to index guest file system. Details: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [x.y.z.t]. Account: [DOMAINNAME\username]. Win32 error:Impossibile trovare il percorso di rete. Code: 53 "

Given there is no further error,

- Can I presume that files inside the VM were saved (even if not indexed) and can be individually restored in case of need?
- What agent should I implement?
- Can I presume that the VM vas saved and that in case of disaster I can recover it?

Regards

marius
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Failed to index guest file system

Post by Gostev »

Hi Marius, please review the sticky FAQ topic, as it goes into this in great details and answers all your questions.
Also, please review the rules of posting technical issues provided when you click New Topic. Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

I apologize for the very basic question.
I looked at the sticky FAQ topic, but I was unable to locate an answer to my question.
Maybe I looked at the wrong place or I did not read the document in the right way...
Sorry for the inconvenience...
Given an error or warning message, where can I locate a manual or a reference page to understand the real meaning and the way to solve the problem?
The user manual I downloaded does not contain any reference to warning or error messages...
Best regards (and thanks for your patience...)
marius
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This is the direct link to FAQ section covering your questions about file level restore without indexing. And the following section goes into detail on how indexing works. As far as investigating your error, step-by-step instructions on handling any technical issues are provided provided when you click New Topic.
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by rawtaz »

Just a very quick not about one of the FAQs at your first link Gostev; The question references operating systems and the answer mentions to file systems:

Q: What operating systems are supported for instant file-level recovery?
A: NTFS and FAT.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I guess it should be "file", not "operating". Thanks for heads up!
vmike
Novice
Liked: never

Post by vmike »

I also ran into this same error:

Failed to index guest file system. Details: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors:
'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [xx.xx.xx.xxx]. Account: [DOMAINNAME\USERNAME].
Win32 error:Access is denied.
Code: 5

We opened SR5209928, and I was given a workaround: instead of using the DOMAINNAME\USERNAMEformat, use MAHINENAME\USENAME. I am barred by compliance from using a local acct, so this is not an option. The workaround did work on a test VM using a local account.

I did take one of the VMs that hadindexing fail and reboot it, then ran an individual backup using the DOMAINNAME\USERNAME format, and it was successful. This leaves me even more confused. I will run the Job Pool that contains thie VM in question and see if indexing works during the regular backup cycle.

For Veeam support: Do you know of any MicroSoft KBs on VSS/file indexing that you could point us to that may aid our troubleshooting?
vmike
Novice

Post by vmike »

[quote="vmike"]I also ran into this same error:

Another thing we saw is this: There are several VMs that we run VSS and indexing on, using the same domain service account. VSS worked, and indexing failed. This has us scratching our heads and any insight would be helpful.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mike,

Could you please tell me if you're able to access admin share on the backed up VMs using the credentials you've specified in the backup job?
vmike wrote:There are several VMs that we run VSS and indexing on, using the same domain service account. VSS worked, and indexing failed.
Did it happen on the same VMs? What about the subsequent job run? Did you see the same failures?

On a side note, here is a good recent reading on the VSS account requirements, might be worth checking out: Backup failing due to UAC?

BTW - what version of Veeam B&R are you using?

P.S. Veeam technical support does not monitor these forums, so it might be better to address your question regarding the VSS/File indexing KBs directly to your support engineer.

Thanks!
vmike
Novice

Post by vmike »

Vitaly - Thank you for the reply.

It has happened on the same VMs, where VSS works and file indexing fails. It has happened on subsequest job runs. I am very interested in why the reboot resolved the issue on one of the VMs we were using to troubleshoot. A reboot would have cleared cached credentials, which is what we thought it was until we saw VSS work and indexing fail using the same credentials.

Thank you for the read on UAC, I have passed it along to our engineers. UAC is not the cause of the issue we are seeing,it is disabled via GPO in the environment.

We are using ver 6.1.0.181.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

vmike wrote:...which is what we thought it was until we saw VSS work and indexing fail using the same credentials.
I wonder what our support team can say on this after reviewing the log files from this job pass.