Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
dktldkzk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kim, YoungCheol

When will the Schedule Tap feature appear in the Periodically feature in the Nutanix backup schedule?

Post by dktldkzk »

We want to do a Nutanix backup every 6 hours.

Currently, the Periodically every option allows for backups every 6 hours.

There is only one problem.

The current Periodically every option unconditionally starts backup from 0:00.

In Veeam B&R, there is an option called Schedule in the Periodically every option, so there is a function to adjust the backup time in this way at 01:00, 07:00, 13:00, 19:00. When does this option called Schedule appear in Nutanix backup?

It keeps getting better as the version goes up, but I wonder when this feature will come out.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: When will the Schedule Tap feature appear in the Periodically feature in the Nutanix backup schedule?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Kim

I checked our roadmap which I have access to and there are not short term plans for such an option.
That doesn't mean that it isn't scheduled for a future update.
May I know why it is a problem for your environment? Can you please share your use case why you need to move the start time?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dktldkzk
Novice

Re: When will the Schedule Tap feature appear in the Periodically feature in the Nutanix backup schedule?

Post by dktldkzk »

Currently, 29 VMs need to be backed up every 6 hours.

So customers are trying to spread out their backup time.

At the same time, rather than having all VMs start at the same time, you want to back up by setting each start time.

This is to prepare for service failures as much as possible by distributing the start time.

Now, Nutanix backup continues to improve with update 4, but this option is different from the backup server schedule.

I believe it will be updated, but it's frustrating.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kim

Thanks for explaining the use case.
Veeam Backup & Replication is the only product which allows to use the scheduled window workaround for different start times of periodic jobs. We have other products where this workaround cannot be used.
This is to prepare for service failures as much as possible by distributing the start time.
Do you see service failures that often, that the workaround is required?

Best,
Fabian
dktldkzk
Novice

Post by dktldkzk »

We're in the initial build phase right now.

Yesterday, for the first time, I backed up 29 VMs at the same time zone with 5 sessions, and there was nothing unusual.

Still, I want to spread out my schedule in case of an unexpected failure.

I'm hoping that Nutanix's scheduling feature will be updated to be the same as VBR's.

I believe that it will eventually be updated to be the same as VBR because it keeps getting better with version up.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kim

Thanks for the additional information. It‘s noted as an improvement but I cannot promise it yet.

I suggest you start with putting them in the same job and monitor how it works out for your customer. I don‘t expect any issues with 29 VMs. We have customer with a lot more machines to protect.

Best,
Fabian