Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wlacon
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam12: Backup Copy Job files with GFS retentions migration from ReFS Repository to ReFS Repository

Post by wlacon »

Hello,
i have a question about new feature "move backup repository" in Veeam 12
I need to move a "Backup Copy Job backup files" with GFS retentions from server with ReFS repository to new server with ReFS repository.
The "Backup Copy Job backup files" are created from a Legacy VMware periodic copy job and i can't move them.
How can i do it without losing GFS Retentions or Fast Clone Saving Space?
Thank you very much.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam12: Backup Copy Job files with GFS retentions migration from ReFS Repository to ReFS Repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. The backup copy jobs need to be upgraded to the new format first

GFS space savings are preserved during format change

Best regards,
Hannes
wlacon
Novice

Re: Veeam12: Backup Copy Job files with GFS retentions migration from ReFS Repository to ReFS Repository

Post by wlacon »

Hello,
thanks about your answers.
I tried it on one "periodic backup copy (interval-based)" without GFS retentions.
I did these steps:
a) upgraded chain primary backup job (otherwise the new "Move Feature" on "backup copy job files" is not permitted), created new backup copy job and mapped existing "Backup Copy Job backup files" in the new job.
b) new backup copy job created a new Synthetic Full, detached old retentions backup copy job files and moved them in "orphaned" status.
I could move new Synthetic full but not old detached retentions located in "orphaned" status.
I think Veeam server deleted old detached retentions because their retention policy is applied.
Is it right or i wrong something?
I have some dubts:
- have I to do same steps with periodic backup copy (interval-based) with GFS retentions?
- will GFS retentions be detached and moved in "orphaned" status and i can't move them?

Thank you very much
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
ah, good point... only the new files can be moved with VeeaMover...

The GFS retention will be applied over time to the orphaned backup files, yes. You can see the type "Legacy [platform] Backup Copy" in the "backup copy" section. All these jobs need to be migrated to the new format.

Best regards,
Hannes
wlacon
Novice

Post by wlacon »

Hi,
thank you.
So, if i have understood right

I have found these about my case:
- Periodic Copy Mode
To upgrade the backup chain format for the periodic copy mode, do the following:
Create a new backup copy job.
At the Objects step of the wizard, select the same sources as in the backup copy job whose backups you want to upgrade. Note that you can also add other sources.
At the Target step of the wizard, select the backup repository where the backups whose format you want to change are stored.
At the Target step of the wizard, map the backup copy job to the backups as described in Map Backup File."
- [For format upgrade using mapping] During the upgrade, Veeam Backup & Replication synthesizes full backups in the per-machine backup with separate metadata files format using the existing backup (the source for mapping). That is why you need enough space on the repository to store full backups. After the successful change operation, the backup used as the source for mapping is placed to the node with the (Orphaned) postfix. After the successful upgrade, you can delete this orphaned backup.

I need move GFS retentions from ReFS Repository to a new ReFS Repository (one year of GFS retentions) and i can't with new feature VeeaMover because they are created with "Legacy Periodic Copy Mode".
Is it right?
If i can't with VeeaMover, are there other methods or solutions Veeam or not Veeam ?

Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you are correct.

The alternative would be a migration with a block-based copy tool. I remember dd / dd_rescue have been used, but there are probably also other tools. These tools create a copy of the whole volume. Copying files is not an option.

Best regards,
Hannes
wlacon
Novice

Post by wlacon »

Thank you very much for your answers.
I'm verifyng other solutions.

Best regards