Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
NAP-LN
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Azure to Wasabi and config check

Post by NAP-LN »

Looking to implement Wasabi as our Long Term repository for archiving of monthly and annual backups to ensure production and backup data is not stored in the same location; Azure. Also after a check on current set up to ensure Azure costs are minimised.

We have Veeam VBR on an Azure VM, there is an Veeam Azure appliance for our Azure resources and we also use Veeam for M365. We will also be backing up our remote site that has on prem hardware to a NAS local to that site, then offload to Wasabi direct from site.

As the moment we are backing up Sharepoint, Teams and Exchange but still ironing out the warnings and small number of errors. I am also testing backing up of 2 Azure VM's. There are 2 Azure Storage accounts, one for the M365 data (Storage 1) and the 2nd Storage Account (Storage2) for the Veeam Azure data due to the different requirements around immutability. Snapshots and backups are kept for 14 days. Weekly snapshots and backups kept for 14 days as well, Monthly snapshots and backups also kept for 14 days.

I understand we cannot perform SOBR when using Azure blob to Wasabi object storage so we must initiate a backup copy.

During the Backup Copy, where does is the data stored during transit?

As we are only holding the backups in Azure for 14 days can the backups be held for longer periods with those settings defined in the Copy job?

As the Veeam for M365 is a separate product outside of VBR console, what are suggestions for Wasabi as long term retention as there is no backup copy option available.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Azure to Wasabi and config check

Post by Mildur »

Hi NAP-LN
I understand we cannot perform SOBR when using Azure blob to Wasabi object storage so we must initiate a backup copy. During the Backup Copy, where does is the data stored during transit?
With Veeam Backup & Replication V12 you can do a direct copy from Backups in Azure (Veeam Backup for AWS?) to Wasabi.
Only temporary data may be stored on the gateway server during transit. You don't require a SOBR with a performance tier.
As the Veeam for M365 is a separate product outside of VBR console, what are suggestions for Wasabi as long term retention as there is no backup copy option available.
Veeam Backup for M365 v7 can copy backups from Azure Blob to Wasabi. Why do you think it is not possible?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
NAP-LN
Novice

Post by NAP-LN »

Thanks for the update, the information i was looking at must have been for an earlier version of VBR.

I have attempted to create a backup copy job however the job list is empty. If I go to Jobs > Backup, i can see the policies from the azure appliance. Those policies are not listed as jobs in the backup copy wizard.

Azure would be used to retain daily backups with Weekly\Monthly\Annual being removed after 7\14\21 days respectively. The backup copy job would off load those weekly\monthly\annual to Wasabi for the retention periods determined by the business. Having the backup copy mirror the Azure repository is not what I am looking for
NAP-LN
Novice

Post by NAP-LN »

Mildur wrote: Apr 13, 2023 8:28 am Best,
Fabian
Hi Fabian,

Wondering if you had any input to my update at all?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi NAP-LN

Are you on v11 or v12?
- In v11, the copy job has it's own type for azure backups: Backup copy > Azure IaaS backup
- In v12, only one backup copy job exists for all types of VMs: Backup Copy
Azure would be used to retain daily backups with Weekly\Monthly\Annual being removed after 7\14\21 days respectively. The backup copy job would off load those weekly\monthly\annual to Wasabi for the retention periods determined by the business.
A periodic backup copy job can do that for you. You can run it once per week.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software