Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
KevinDetron
Novice
Liked: never

Throttle to Amazon S3 object storage not working

Post by KevinDetron »

Hi,

We can't seem to throttle traffic towards Amazon S3 Object storage over our internet connection.

First I thought the default Internet traffic rule wasn't covering this traffic, so I used this script [https://horstmann.in/adding-azure-aws-r ... fic-rules/] to add network traffic rules towards the AWS region where our S3 bucket resides.

But our network team is still seeing max. 500MB/s throughput when I enable the Backup copy jobs.

Our setup is as follows; we have a singular linux hardended repository on site A where we save backups with our backup jobs. We have another linux hardened repository as performance extent and an AWS S3 bucket at capacity extent in a SOBR.

So our backup jobs create VMware VM backups to the Linux Hardened Repo on site A, and afterwards a Backup copy job transfers those backups into a SOBR containing a Linux Hardened Repo on Site B with an immediate copy to the AWS S3 Object storage in the cloud.

We have set-up the AWS S3 Object storage with direct connection, no gateway's or WAN accelerators used.

Whenever the SOBR offload task runs towards the AWS S3 bucket our internet line is fully used instead of the throttle of 100MB/s I configured as the network traffic rule. When clicking on the SOBR offload task I do see the message "Network traffic throttling is enabled".

Does the network traffic rule not apply on backup copy traffic that goes to the internet straight from the Linux Hardened Repo on site B? If yes, is the only solution to use a gateway server to redirect the backup copy traffic through a host carrying another Veeam role so that the traffic rule get's applied?

Kind regards,

Kevin
KevinDetron
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Throttle to Amazon S3 object storage not working

Post by KevinDetron »

We had a misunderstanding between MB/s and Mb/s.

Throttle is working fine now, thank you.