Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Automatically Delete Backup Versions When Space is Needed

Post by BackupBytesTim »

I'd like to see Veeam have the ability to delete backup versions as necessary to free space for another backup. Regardless of any other details.

We have multiple different scenarios that require frequent human intervention to free space so backups can continue. Other backup softwares have the ability to delete old versions automatically to free space, seems like it should be simple enough to add from a development standpoint, and it would definitely solve multiple problems for us.

The current behavior of "fail and do nothing until a human intervenes" makes the software very not self sufficient and certainly not "just works" as Veeam's marketing team seems so persistent on saying. This is just one of many issues I've experienced that I would say make Veeam fail to meet the description of "just works", but it would certainly be a step in the right direction if Veeam could do this.

I understand many people are more concerned with knowing they can restore back to a particular point in time than knowing they can restore back to the latest backup time, but for myself personally and the majority of our customers, it would be more desirable to know that when a restore is needed that they can restore recent data, within the past day or so typically. The current behavior seems that Veeam is more concerned with preserving a backup that was created than with creating new backup versions. Again, I understand some people desire this for compliance reasons or whatever, but for us it's more desirable to know that new backups will continue. Possibly there can be a Warning status or something if the setting is enabled and an old version had to be deleted to free space such that now there are fewer versions than the retention policy would normally keep.
popjls
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: Automatically Delete Backup Versions When Space is Needed

Post by popjls »

I agree. There needs to be an adult button for "I understand the consequences but delete my backups when disk space is low" - offloading to capacity is not always available to everyone.