Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
GianlucaCroci
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Gianluca Croci

Backup security - Immutable Storage

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Good morning,

we're looking the topic of backup security to prevent possible attacks from creating unsolvable problems for us.

If we were to configure Veeam with an Immutable Storage, and in "Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365" to use this Storage as a Repository, would it be feasible? Would it bring the desired benefits?

We're currently still using version 5.0.3.1060, but will be moving to the latest version shortly.

Thanks in advance.
Gianluca
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Backup security - Immutable Storage

Post by Polina »

Hi Gianluca,

Immutable storages are currently not supported. It's on the roadmap, but I cannot provide any ETA at the moment.

Thanks!
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Thanks for the reply.

However, it would be an important thing to introduce, because we are already talking about Cloud backups, and not having this security too could be a problem for some customers (it always depends on the degree of use of Microsoft Office 365).

Another question related to this above.
Now we've Veeam storage exposed by Windows Proxies, and I use this Storage for both Veeam Backup & Replication and Microsoft 365 (point to a specific Share).
If we set up the Immutable Storage via Linux, will it still be possible to have an unprotected (non-immutable) portion to be used for the backup of Microsft 365? Or should we plan to leave some of the storage free and continue to expose it with Windows like today?

Thanks again.
Ben.online
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by Ben.online »

@Unread post by GianlucaCroci » Aug 25, 2022 7:46 am
If we set up the Immutable Storage via Linux, will it still be possible to have an unprotected (non-immutable) portion to be used for the backup of Microsft 365?

No the entire repo will be immutable
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

OK, thanks.

So if we had 1 PB of storage, I could create an Immutable Repo of 800TB with a Linux proxy, and another normal 200GB with a Win Proxy.
Or more than one because not all backups accept that a Repo is encrypted.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I suggest to stay with windows based repositories or use Object Storage which is our recommended storage option for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365. Using a Linux Server adds only new level of management which you have to maintain.

Linux Repositories are not directly possible as VB365 backup repositories. You can use the storage from any Linux Server for VB365 just in two scenarios:
  • Use the Linux Server as a iSCSI Target and present the storage as a iSCSI LUN to the windows proxy server --> iSCSI is supported and recommended before using SMBv3
  • Add somehow the Linux server to a windows active directory and provide the storage as a SMB3 Share to the windows proxy server. The proxy servers must also be in the same or a trusted active directory domain. The AD computer object must be added to the shares permission. --> SMB is just experimental support (I never tested if that will work)
Option 1 will give you better performance. But as suggested, don't use Linux as a repository for VB365 :)

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Thanks Fabian.

I'd like to use, for example, the 800 TB for my normal backup of Veeam B&R 11, and the 200 TB for VB365, and other job of B&R that don't like or can't be done with the Immutable Repo.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Ah, I think I understand now.
You have your VB365 Server with it's own storage.
And your plan is to backup the VB365 Server with the help of a VM or Agent Job to the VBR Repository and you don't want to have that backup immutable? Just as a second copy of the backup data?

What type of storage are you using for your backup storage, VBR and VB365? NAS? Physical Linux Server?
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

VB365 it has its own rescue and its own life.
All the other VMs/Servers are instead saved by B&R 11 (FileServer, Exchange, SQL, ...) and I would like to do it on an Immutable Repo.

Except that before proceeding with the creation of this Repo, I'm evaluating when to give it space so asn't to have problems with systems that aren't compatible, as in the case of VB365
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Could you please tell me more about what sort of storage you have in use?
Is it a NAS Device or a physical server with Linux installed and locally attached disks?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Immutability is something which we are working on but for object storage based repositories. If you are using a jet DB repository type, immutability is not supported I'm afraid.
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

We've a DELL ME4084 storage. There're 4 Shelfs full of discs, divided into two Pools. Each Pool is currently associated to a Veeam Proxy. In practice, these two VMs have disk C: on the local storage of the host on which they run, and 4 VMDKs per machine (a VMDK corresponds to a Storage Pool, so the storage have configured 8 Pool).
The 4 disks are then merged into one disk by Windows, where it's exposed to Veeam through a Share.

And save the VB365 in a normal storage, and then through a "FileCopy job" copy it to the Immutable Repo?

Thank's to all.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Gianluca,

If you want to use a backup copy functionality, your backups must be stored in an object storage repository. With block-based repositories, backup copies are not supported.

Thanks!
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hi Polina,

thank's a lot for your reply. Understood.

Kind regards
christian_k
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by christian_k »

Is there an update on the ETA for immutability support on cloud storage repositories for O365 Backup?
I've heard rumors about a possible release in december, which would certainly make a great christmas present for many VB365 users ;)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@christian_k
I'm afraid I will destroy your Christmas present ;-). I do hope to give you a beta as christmas present though (And that's a spoiler alert :-D)
rich360
Novice
Full Name: Richard Bartlett

Post by rich360 »

Hi

I've been looking at the documentation for Version 7 and it doesn't appear that Linux repo's are supported yet.

Is there any update on the roadmap for this as I could really use it right now!

Thanks.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Richard,

We don't have this support and it's not foreseen in the near future.

Thanks!
rich360
Novice
Full Name: Richard Bartlett

Post by rich360 »

That makes me sad 😥

But thanks for your swift reply!

Is it worth me putting in a feature request?