Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Guest OS Credentials issue

Post by marius roma »

I am performing tests in a lab environment.
The server hosting Veeam Backup is member of a Workgroup and uses a corporate DNS.
The first VM being backed up is the DC of its own AD domain, is a DNS server for its AD domain and uses its own DNS server.
The second guest VM being backed up is a member of the AD domain managed by the first VM being backed up and uses the same DNS server.
To make an example, imagine the following scenario:
- Windows server 2008 server running Veeam: IP 192.168.1.100 using DNS 192.168.1.1
- Windows Server 2008 server being backed up: IP 192.168.1.200 using DNS 192.168.1.200
- Windows server 2008 member server being backed up: IP 192.168.1.201 using DNS 192.168.1.200
When I specify the Guest OS Credentials i use the format MYDOMAIN\Administrator, but the server hosting Veeam Backup does not know the MYDOMAIN domain as it is managed by the DNS hosted by the VM being backed up.
So, my questions are:
1) When the backup terminates I get a warning but both VM looks to be backed up: can I presume I will be able to restore them anyway (regardless of the indexing of single files) in case of disaster?
2) How can I specify the Guest OS credentials if the server hosting Veeam Backup does not know the domain?
Regards
marius
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Guest OS Credentials issue

Post by dellock6 »

If I understood correctly your question, you can activate application aware processing for the job, then go into advanced and set user credentials for single VMs, using different credentials for every VM.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

marius roma wrote:1) When the backup terminates I get a warning but both VM looks to be backed up: can I presume I will be able to restore them anyway (regardless of the indexing of single files) in case of disaster?
This is covered in the sticky FAQ topic.
marius roma wrote:2) How can I specify the Guest OS credentials if the server hosting Veeam Backup does not know the domain?
Not sure what you mean but "does not know the domain". But you can always use local administrator account instead of domain administrator.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

Thank you for your message.
As you know, AD Domain Controllers don't have local administrator accounts, but only domain administrator accounts. How should I pass the administrator credentials to Veeam Backup?
What syntax should I use?
- mydomain\administrator
- administrator@mydomain.com
- x.y.z.t\administrator (where x.y.z.t is the IPv4 address of the DC)?
Regards
marius
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

The correct syntax is shown on the text label right next to the control where you enter the credentials.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

Gostev wrote:The correct syntax is shown on the text label right next to the control where you enter the credentials.
Thank you for your message.
I suspect I misposed the question (I apologize for my poor English...).
If you enter either:
- mydomain\administrator
- administrator@mydomain.com
the server hosting Veeam Backup cannot resolove the domain name because the domain name is serviced by a DNS server that is ignored by the server.
So, using the IP address can be a solution?
Regards
marius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The thing is that Veeam backup server does not need to resolve the credentials you specify here. Credentials must work in the domain where VMs being backed up reside, but not necessarily in the Veeam backup server domain.