Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

existing job/repo: make immutable

Post by DDIT »

Hi,

Long time VBO user here, currently on v7.

I have an existing VBO job which targets a direct-to-object repo. The underlying object-storage is a Wasabi bucket without object-lock enabled (this was missed when the bucket was setup long ago). The object repo in VBO also does not have the check against "Make backup copies immutable..." on the object repo properties.

What is the best way to enable immutability? I understand I need to create a new bucket in Wasabi with object-lock enabled. Once done, how can I move/migrate my VBO backups to this new bucket? I read that Move-VBOEntityData does not support moving from object storage to object storage. Once done, however possible, I presume I can just re-create the object storage repo in Veeam and check the aforementioned immutable box?

Many thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: existing job/repo: make immutable

Post by Mildur »

Hello DDIT

Only backup copies can be made immutable. So it‘s easy for your environment to enable immutable copies. You don‘t have to migrate any old restore point.

1) Create a new bucket with versioning and object lock enabled
2) Add it as a new object storage repository in Veeam and enable immutability. Use the same retention type as for your existing repository. Retention period can be different.
3) Create a backup copy job which points to the new repository

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT »

Hi @Mildur,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused. If I create a new Wasabi bucket (enabling versioning & immutability), then from Veeam VBO add this to the Storage node (selecting the immutable option on page 4 of the wizard), then kick-off the new repository wizard, and on the first page choose 'backup to object storage', I can progress through the steps, selecting a new local cache folder, then my new immutable bucket, enable encryption, and finish. I could then target my backups at this, right?

Not sure why I would need to create a backup copy job if I can do the above. What am I missing?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

As I have said, only backup copy jobs can write immutable backups.
A backup job doesn‘t support immutability in VB365 v7.
I could then target my backups at this, right?
Have you tried it? Our wizard for backup jobs won‘t list your immutable repository as a possible target. Only mutable repositories can be selected for a backup job.

Best,
Fabian
DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT »

Ah, yes. I tried, it doesn't show up. So if I understand correctly, v7 can backup directly to object storage, but only if object storage is not immutable? which is what I appear to be doing now.

So, if I follow your steps, I would end up with two object repos? one repo used by my original backup job, which currently contains all restore points. Then another object repo for the backup copy job, which would essentially be a copy (of all restore points) from from the first repo, but immutable?

Kind regards
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello
v7 can backup directly to object storage, but only if object storage is not immutable?
Correct.
one repo used by my original backup job, which currently contains all restore points.
Correct.
Then another object repo for the backup copy job, which would essentially be a copy (of all restore points) from from the first repo, but immutable?
Correct, a second repository. And those copies will be immutable.

The initial run of the backup copy job will only copy the latest restore point available. After the initial Copy, it depends on your copy schedule which restore points are copied:
- Immediate --> All new created restore points will be copied right after they were created by the backup job
- Daily at this time --> Only the latest restore point
- Periodically every --> Only the latest restore point

Best,
Fabian
DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT »

Many thanks.
The initial run of the backup copy job will only copy the latest restore point available.
So my historic restore points will only exist in the original (non-immutable) repo. Is there a way to copy/move those into the new immutable repo? Or will only the latest + future restore points be immutable?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Is there a way to copy/move those into the new immutable repo?
Unfortunately there is no way to copy/move "all historic restore points" to an immutable repository.
Or will only the latest + future restore points be immutable?
Correct. Only the latest and all future restore points will be immutable on the copy repository.

Best,
Fabian
DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT »

Perfect. Thanks very much!
sigvast
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: sigvast

Post by sigvast »

Mildur wrote: Mar 24, 2023 2:28 pm Unfortunately there is no way to copy/move "all historic restore points" to an immutable repository.

Correct. Only the latest and all future restore points will be immutable on the copy repository.

Best,
Fabian
Hello, first thank you for all the informations, maybe you can help me also :)

I have backup jobs to an azure object storage repository which is running for some times. Now i just created a immutable repository (Azure also).
I created a copy job to the immutable repository but it seems that only an incremental has been copied ?

What I don't understand is : If the copy job doesn't copy a full backup at the first run, you can't restore from the immutable repository alone in case of disaster ? What happens if the non-immutable storage repository is lost/encrypted ?

Best,
Sigvast
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sigvast,

Copy job always transfers the latest restore point, and on its first run, it'll take all the data that forms this restore point. I.e. if you explore a backup restore point and a corresponding RP copied you'll see the same data. If a non-immutable repository is lost, you'll be able to restore from your secondary copies; however, the oldest RPs created before the first start of copy jobs will not be available.

Thanks!