Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Windows 10 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam yet - what does that mean exactly?

Post by ValiantMartian » 1 person likes this post

I have a few workstations that updated to Windows 10 22H2, for which Veeam is throwing the warning: Backup agent installation is not required Microsoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet. I understand that Veeam will typically support the latest stable build within 90 days or so. Restores that I've tested from these machines seem to work okay.

What does "not officially supported by Veeam" actually mean? Restores may or may not work, and If I have an issue with a restore, support won't necessarily help me?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2302 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Windows 10 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam yet - what does that mean exactly?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

ValiantMartian
not officially supported by Veeam
It means it wasn't tested by us. You can use it at your own risk.

We cannot guarantee successful backups and restores until we run full regression testing with the new version of windows. It may work. But there could also be issues which we have to solve with a product update on our side.

If you face any issue, please try to open a support case. The logs could be helpful for our own testing. We just cannot guarantee you a solution within days. The solution may come with the next agent update.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
KeithW19
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Woodcock

[MERGED] Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by KeithW19 »

It doesn't appear that I can attach an image. However we have a Windows 10 machine running 22H2 and Veeam throws out lots of errors about it not being supported and refusing to install the agent. Here is the scenario:

- In Veeam, the machine OS shows as "Microsoft Windows 11 (Next, 64-bit, Technical Preview)" even though its just a fully updated Windows 10 machine
- When trying to push the agent a warning pops up in the logs immediately that says "Microsoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet"
- After it transfers the msi file for the agent it fails with "Installing package Veeam Agent for Windows Error: Failed to detect operating system version"
- There are 2 more errors after that which also say "Failed to detect operating system version"

We are running Veeam build 11.0.1.1261 P20220302

So what are we missing if its fully supported?
KeithW19
Novice
Full Name: Keith Woodcock

[MERGED] Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by KeithW19 »

So you are saying Windows 11 22H2 is supported but Windows 10 22H2 is not?

Just trying to get clarification as Veeam seems to think the machine is Windows 11. You dont have be standoffish with me. I'm simply trying to get answers on if its supported and if not, when will it be supported
Mildur
Product Manager

Re: Windows 10 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam yet - what does that mean exactly?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Keith

You may see this error messages because Windows 10 22H2 didn't existed when we released Veeam Agent v5.0.3.4708 back in March 2022. This agent build is simply not aware of the build number of your Windows 10 22H2 installation.

Official support for Windows 10 22H2 will come in our next major release (VBR V12, VAW v6) in Q1. Our next Agent version v6 will add the correct information so that we can recognize Windows 10 22H2 correctly.

Best,
Fabian
brian.doell
Service Provider
Full Name: Brian Doell

Post by brian.doell »

Do you have any approximate release date for VAW v6 other than sometime Q1? Wondering if it is likely to be in January or not.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6727 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

There's a good chance we will ship at the end of January (aka RTM build).
brian.doell
Service Provider
Full Name: Brian Doell

Post by brian.doell »

Is there a way to get an early beta release of VAW v6?

Thank you!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Brian

Please contact your sales rep at Veeam. Beta requests from both partners and customers are managed by our system engineers (aka pre-sales engineers).

Thanks,
Fabian
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Hi @Gostev or @Mildur. One of our PCs being backed by Veeam had Win10 22H2 pushed out to it last night, and now we are getting the error (although backups worked). Should we reverse the patch, or are we days away from a new release that will support it? (By the way, the Veeam software erroneously identifies this as Win11 Technical Preview).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6727 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Tim. The RTM build has been available for download for a few days now, if you want to become an early adopter before it is officially GA then please contact our Customer Support for the download link. The RTM build is fully supported from technical support perspective. Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Thank you Gostev, that is great to know! I will open a case.
HomerJSimpson8
Lurker

Post by HomerJSimpson8 »

I can see that Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 6.0.2 which supports Microsoft Windows 10 (from version 1909 to version 22H2) is available. Is this compatible with Veeam Backup & Replication 11a Version : 11.0.1.1261?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello

No, please update to Veeam Backup & Replication 12.0.0.1420 P20230412.
V11 can not manage and monitor the new Agents delivered with V12.

Best,
Fabian