Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Synthetic Fulls running all, while 1 conc jobs per proxy

Post by tfloor »

Hi,

I've set my proxy to 1 concurrent job, and this is working fine for 4 forward-incrementals jobs.
But what i see is that on Saturday the when our Synthetic Fulls are creating, All my jobs are on 99% completed, and all 4 jobs are busy with "transform".

Is it normal that the synthetic full transform is not waiting for complete before the next job is running?
I can imagine that if it has to wait for the next job, that it takes too long because it can take a lot of time to create synthetic fulls, but maybe it can create the syntethics one by one after each other.
I can't see if that make sense for the processing time.
The most load is on the target and proxy memory as i see now.
Is there an average speed of creating the synthetics?
Here i see that for example a 120GB full still busy and is 5 hours later.
I can place the results if everything is ready.

I'm still waiting for the time to get rid of tape backups so i can switch to "reverse increments". 8)

Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Synthetic Fulls running all, while 1 conc jobs per proxy

Post by dellock6 »

Synthetic full + transform is the heavier method you can use on the target storage, since it produces 4 I/O for every saved bit.
The speed you can reach with this method heavily relies on the target storage you are using, and also the CPU power of the proxy involved in the process. I've seen similar jobs lasting more than a day to complete.
If you need to stay with forward for supporting tape, try to remove the transform and go with forward incremental alone; obviously you will need more disk space because of the retention period.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
tfloor
Veteran

Post by tfloor »

Sorry but I don't use the transform rollbacks option
I was writing "transform" but I was not meaning that option. It was why I saw on the real time statistics. It's te process to transform the incremental to a synthetic full.
So the question if it's normal if those are running all on the same time while only 1 concurrent job is set still exist
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it is normal. Backup proxy server does not take part in the synthetic full backup creation. Instead, the backup repository agent does the job. So, it is normal that this task is not accounted for as a backup proxy task. Thanks!
tfloor
Veteran

Post by tfloor »

Ah right. Thanks for that. It's clear now.
bbricker
Enthusiast
Liked: 27 times

Post by bbricker »

Quick question- I have just switched to forward incremental from reverse (to hopefully make replication of my repository easier), so I am new to forwards... but I notice that the job finished last night and has been stuck on "transform" for over 12 hours now. I do not have the transform rollbacks option selected on this job though. Why is it doing transform?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It is doing synthetic full, but I believe statistics may call this action "transform". I will look at the source code when I am back in the office, and change this label accordingly. If you could post the exact line that you see, or screenshot - it would make it easier for me to find the corresponding text resource. Thanks!
bbricker
Enthusiast

Post by bbricker »

By the time I read your reply I wasn't able to get a screenshot. But basically it said it at the bottom of the statistics window after the last VM in the job had completed. I believe it just said something like performing transform. I tried to reproduce the results just now by creating a new test job, running it, then editing the properties and changing the day that it does synthetic full to today, and running it again, but it doesn't want to run the synthetic full. Instead it is just creating new VIBs. It must know that I am trying to trick it. :) Maybe if I set it to do synthetic full tomorrow I can catch it in the act.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Synthetic full is not performed if full backup has been already performed earlier this day. You can either change the date or wait until tomorrow to perform it.

The string is "Transform XX% done".
bbricker
Enthusiast

Post by bbricker »

Here it is:

Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »