Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
EWMarco
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Marco Glavas

v12 feature request: Checkpoint removal progress

Post by EWMarco » 1 person likes this post

Hi!

I wanted to ask if we could get some type of progress during checkpoint removal on S3. As in total number of objects to be removed and actual progress.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: v12 feature request: Checkpoint removal progress

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Having a progress bar makes little sense... it should be much faster so, it does not need a progress bar :-) Could you please open a support case on that issue? There is at least one other customer with slow "removing checkpoint" and I guess the same for you.

Please post the case number, so that we can link the cases together if it's the same problem.

Best regards,
Hannes
EWMarco
Service Provider

Post by EWMarco »

We're already working on it under 06040866.

I have currently a checkpoint removal that's been going 5 to 6 hours for a 88GB item. I have no way of knowing whether that job is dead or whether it will suddenly finish.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

hmm, the case says you are on V11... are you using v12 or V11? I'm asking, because the title is "v12 feature request" :-)

I also read something about Netapp... did Netapp do the sizing specific for Veeam? Because StorageGrid is known to be challenging for sizing (delete operations are slow...) and general sizing does not work for these boxes. They need to be sized for Veeam. It could be that it's a general performance issue that is on the Netapp side. The issue I had in mind is a "V12 only issue" as far as we know right now.
EWMarco
Service Provider

Post by EWMarco »

We are transitioning to v12 right now (because many Veeam engineers have urged us to do so due to our S3 performance issues) and the log entry I'm talking about wasn't present at all in v11. So yes, this is most definitely about v12.

As to StorageGrid, yes, I am more and more getting that impression. The issue is that there is already a TSANet case between Veeam and NetApp going. It seems neither side's experts are able to give us ANY pointers as to how the ideal settings would look, despite, AFAIK, these two companies having a partnership.

I am planning on testing another S3 that has been set up internally that is open source. I am starting to think NetApp might have been the wrong choice altogether.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, upgrading to V12 is making things faster in general with object storage. so the recommendation makes sense.

yes, if StorageGrid was not designed for Veeam use, then there are known performance issues. The box struggles with deletion of files and I also remember issues with their load balancer.
EWMarco
Service Provider

Post by EWMarco »

It would have been helpful to get such a statement, well, months ago. I've spent the last 3 months trying to get things working even somewhat stable. Would have been nice knowing that it's not because I've grown too old and stupid to do backup ;).

So I now got two interesting snippets from both companies: Veeam B&R is too chatty and StorageGrid sucks at deleting things ;).