Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
cvest@harpergc.com
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Vest

Immutable Best Practice - All backups, all the time?

Post by cvest@harpergc.com »

We are migrating our servers to Azure and rolling out v12 simultaneously.
  • We're backing up directly to object storage for both short and long term storage, with GFS policies.
  • One storage account with two different containers; one hot and one archive.
  • Storage account is LRS.
  • Both containers have immutability enabled.
  • Roughly 8TB of data.
Questions:
  • Is it recommended best practice to enable immutability for ALL backups? Short term and archival?
  • Our main concern is recoverability while archival is less important. No compliance requirements, etc.
  • Cost is somewhat of a concern. If I set 3 years of immutability, do I have 3 years worth of daily's sitting in object storage?
  • When backing up Azure VMs, are backups immutable for entire GFS period? Or just the duration enabled in the daily section? This message is confusing "The created backups will be immutable for a period based on the backup policy schedule with the daily retention flag. Do you want to proceed?"
  • Originally planned to have archival backups in a different region but transaction costs were getting high. Would RA-GRS be an alternative for redundant copies?
  • We receive a notice that blob has versioning enabled and will result in higher transactional costs. Can anyone explain why?
Thanks for any clarity.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Immutable Best Practice - All backups, all the time?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

One usually configures a few days immutability on the repository (less than daily retention at least). GFS restore points are immutable for the entire period in V12 (not V11). Daily backups will be removed according to retention (except one sets longer immutability than daily retention which leads to warnings then).

Yes, RA-GRS can be used.

If you could copy & paste the exact message, one could probably answer what it means.

Best regards,
Hannes
cvest@harpergc.com
Lurker
Full Name: Chris Vest

Post by cvest@harpergc.com »

Thanks!

Here is the versioning message ""Blob versioning" setting is enabled. There will be additional costs when using this type of repository."

So, if I wanted a little more control of managing archival storage size, I could in theory do the following:
-Configure Daily backups for 30 days to a target repository with immutability turned on. Production backups will be immutable for 30-40 days.
-Configure Monthly and Yearly backups to a target repository WITHOUT immutability turned on. This would give me the ability to delete backups should storage size get out of control.

Or for maximum protection, I could:
-Configure daily backups AND monthly/yearly backups to immutable storage. But backups are impossible to delete until retention period expires.

For clarification:
-When performing a monthly or annual backup, Veeam takes a current snapshot and performs a backup on the snapshot. It's not just a copy of a current daily or weekly backup, correct?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hmm, I do not get that message. Did you configure the storage account according to https://www.veeam.com/kb4416?

That's the two options you have, yes. Plus you could use separate Azure accounts to spread the risk of misconfigurations (e.g. accidentally 99 years retention). Immutable cloud data can be deleted by cancelling the whole subscription / contract with the cloud provider (that's a general thing. Not specific to Azure)

I'm not sure what the last question means. The defined restore point (let's say "last") will be retained for the defined time. Example: 31.12. will be retained for 6 months till 30.06. GFS restore points are "logical fulls". That means the software keeps all objects that are needed for the 31.12.. It does not create a full copy every week / month etc. because that would be waste of space.

Best regards,
Hannes
apolloxm
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by apolloxm »

Hello,
One usually configures a few days immutability on the repository (less than daily retention at least). GFS restore points are immutable for the entire period in V12 (not V11). Daily backups will be removed according to retention (except one sets longer immutability than daily retention which leads to warnings then).
Is that means no matter how many days I configured the immutable days in the object storage in the V12. the GFS will always immutable for the entire period in V12. For example, I configured the backup copy jobs with object storage immutable days to 4 days. so it will be immutable for 10+4=14 days. retention policy set to 7days. GFS weekly keeps to 4 weeks. monthly keeps to 6 months, yearly to 2 years. in this case. daily immutable will be 14 days and restore point would be 8. GFS immutable would be 4 weeks and 6 months and year would be 2 years.

If yes, is this valid both for directly to object storage and capacity tier. also, is there difference if the job type is backup job or back copy jobs.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
almost... the 10+4 is maximum... on the second day it's 9+4 etc.

Capacity tier and standalone object storage behave different. That's the summary:

Standalone Repository
GFS retention*

Scale Out Repository
1) Performance tier only: GFS retention*
2)“copy” to capacity tier set:
2a) Performance tier: GFS retention*
2b) Capacity tier: repository immutability
3) “move” to capacity tier set: repository immutability everywhere
4) Archive tier: GFS retention

*if longer than repository immutability. Repository immutability time is minimum

Best regards,
Hannes
Srobbins333
Novice
Full Name: Shaun Robbins

Post by Srobbins333 »

Sorry to jump on the thread, but does that mean that if we have an Azure capacity tier set for x days (say 20 days), but a GFS weekly for 6 weeks, the GFS is ignored entirely?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

all capacity tiers are treated the same. So the answer to your question is "yes" (2b)