Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Luca Marohn
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luca Marohn

using / managing multiple source WAN accelerators

Post by Luca Marohn »

Currently we operate a Hyper-V Cluster with about 60VMs and 10TB VM data. The VMs are backed up onsite and go through a copy job (WAN acceleration / VWA) offsite to our second datacenter. We're thinking about splitting up the main backup and copy job due to manageability. For example job per customer or VM so we have multiple jobs afterwards. Why that? The WAN accelerator feature states "Each task slot allows processing of a single disk, so companies with one slot assigned will not be able to leverage parallel processing, or run multiple jobs concurrently. This setting applies to direct mode transfers only (WAN accelerators process disks sequentially)." and we want to be able to leverage some kind of parallel processing. For that we would need to have multiple VWAs on the source side and there comes in my question.. is it possible to create something like VWA pool where we have mulptiple VWAs and the copy jobs can choose by load which one they use? Or do we have to specify that per copy job? Obviously caching would be a subject that the different VWAs wouldn't be in sync if the copy job gets a different VWA assigned.

Greetings
Luca
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: using / managing multiple source WAN accelerators

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Luca

May I ask what you mean with VWA? It's not an official acronym. I assume it is Veeam Wan Accelerator?
There is no such thing as Wan Accelerator Pools. Each Job can be assigned a single WAN Accelerator.

If you want to have parallel processing with source WAN Accelerators, you have to use multiple copy jobs and assign a dedicated source WAN Accelerator to the job. Target WAN Accelerator can be the same for all jobs.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Luca Marohn
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luca Marohn

Re: using / managing multiple source WAN accelerators

Post by Luca Marohn »

Hi Fabian

Yes I meant Veeam Wan Accelerator.