Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
peter.stenstrom
Lurker
Liked: never

Need som advice

Post by peter.stenstrom »

Hey guys, I have a question that you probably have a good solution for.

Today I have 3 equivalent sites, each with a physical server that cannot be virtualized, as well as a local NAS for storing files, the server is used for hard calculations.

My idea is to centralize a backup solution as follows:

Site 1: Install a new stand-alone server with VBR and a large iSCSI-connected backup NAS as repository.

Site 2:
On this site, install Veeam Agent for Windows and Veeam Proxy on the physical server. A backup NAS will be installed on the same network, but not iSCSI connected, the only solution is SMB. The idea is to use Veeam for NAS backup to back up the production NAS, and then send this data to the local backup NAS.

Finally, id like to make a backup copy from Site 2 and Site 3 to Site 1 at night.

Site 3: Same as site 2.

My question is, can I centralize VBR on Site 1, to take backups on Site 2 and 3 as described above? Everything will run over 1gbit site-to-site VPN.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Need som advice

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can do it technically. A central backup server can manage remote components such as repositories and proxy server. Or Agents. Your bandwidth looks good to me. It just has to be enough to copy incremental backups within your defined backup window.

One thing I would consider in your design is the missing ransomware protection. I cannot see immutable or offline backup copies. An attacker on the backup server can delete any restore point. He can even use the credentials stored in Veeam Backup & Replication to get access to the production NAS.

Maybe you can consider to use a hardened repository in your Site 1 instead of an ISCSI NAS connected to the windows backup server. A hardened repository with disabled SSH will give you immutable backups.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
peter.stenstrom
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Need som advice

Post by peter.stenstrom »

Hello Mildur, you are right about ransomware protection, i just forgot to mention it.
I will add a second backupcopy from site 1 that will sync the data to "Wasabi" with 90 days Immutable backup.