Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

SQL Transaction PIT Restores

Post by gingerdazza »

If I'm following best practises and building a new VBR Server in a workgroup, what's the best way to be able to support PIT/transaction log restores in SQL? I don't think it's supported to restore from Veeam SQL Explorer on a machine that isn't in the domain or trusted domain of the target SQL server. Install the Explorer on a domain-joined resource? And if there is a firewall between the VBR Server and the SQL Explorer and SQL servers to be restored to, what ports/comms is required?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SQL Transaction PIT Restores

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Let's start with this page where all the required ports are mentioned and this page where we list all the required permissions. Please let me know if your questions are still actual after checking our user guide. Also, the admin share on the target server must be open.

Thanks!
gingerdazza
Expert

Post by gingerdazza »

Hi, yes I've already reviewed the documentation artefacts, but I'm still not 100% sure on this. Would be grateful for your enlightenment
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

If the requirements from our documentation are met, then I would suggest testing the restore, maybe make a couple of test runs to see how it goes in your environment.

Thanks!
gingerdazza
Expert

Post by gingerdazza »

I'm trying to build a design for a future state so I have nothing to test with. chicken and egg. the information would help me build that design
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The requirements above should be sufficient, the main goal is to be sure that we can successfully interact with the target server specified in this step. For example, you may test sqlcmd connections from the machine where you're going to install Veeam B&R server and console. Anyway, I believe that we can consider our design reliable only after all the required scenarios are successfully tested.

Thanks!