Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
LeeMackie
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Lee Mackie

Staggering start times

Post by LeeMackie »

I have recently made some changes within our Microsoft 365 environment and as a result we now have a large amount of jobs starting within the same hour.

I have staggered the start times based on the minutes option, but ideally I need to stagger the start times across the environment within the 8 hour window (having 70+ jobs kick off in the same hour is far from ideal, let alone the overlap of jobs within the same organization).

There doesn't seem to be any way to do this either via Powershell or console - it seems your locked in to starting within the hour of which the job was created regardless of whether this is desired or not. Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds for this limitation?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2270 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Staggering start times

Post by Mildur »

Hi Lee

Thanks for the request.
We got this request from time to time to allow a higher offset. I shared your topic with the team.
Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds for this limitation?
There is currently no workaround besides creating more jobs. 3 daily jobs every 8 hours instead of a single one scheduled periodically.
Thread Settings on the proxy server will limit how many objects are processed at once per proxy server. This may help to reduce the load on the server:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
LeeMackie
Service Provider

Post by LeeMackie »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the reply - We have split our jobs from a single backup job to 3 seperate jobs for each tenant executing every 8 hours but as I had to modify a large amount of jobs I scripted the change and hence now they all kick off at the same hour (with the offset in minutes between them that was randomly set via the script).

Hope to see something in the future.
LeeMackie
Service Provider

Post by LeeMackie »

Sorry to bring up an old thread - just wanted to confirm if there is a registry key that can silence the alerts related to job overlap?
Specifically:
Team posts are already being processed by another job
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 704 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Lee,

Sorry, but there's no such option. You need to either reconfigure your jobs to make sure they don't include objects that can overlap, or update jobs scheduling to run them at different times.

Thanks!
LeeMackie
Service Provider

Post by LeeMackie »

Thanks Polina - as the jobs are set to run periodically every 8 hours there is no ability to change the timing that they run as per the above messages. The jobs that overlap run for more than 1 hour so just manipulating the minutes is not sufficient unfortunately.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 704 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Makes sense. We'll consider extending the offset period in future releases.
MaartenA
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: maarten

Post by MaartenA » 3 people like this post

Or add the option to set a start time when setting the run every x hours would be even better :)