Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Veeam O365 repo replication?

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello All..So we have a customer with about 4 years of VBO backups in an on-prem Veeam repo. It is Item Level retention as opposed to snap-shot level. With the latest build of VBO what is the preferred method to have a backup of that repo ? If the device it is on goes down then that repo is gone forever. With the new version are backup copy jobs possible or someway to get it to Object storage? I know a script exists to move a repo to object but with 1TB of data I am worried how long that process would take and even if it is safe to use it to use that script to move from on-prem to S3 storage.

We currently have Wasabi as the capacity tier in a SOBR and it works great for replicating on-prem VM's to Wasabi. Would the recommendation be to spin up VM for VBO and use VBR to replicate that VM to the cloud via the SOBR?

It would be ideal to have the on-prem repo still available but replicated to S3 somehow.

Thanks
Dave
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam O365 repo replication?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Dave

Method for object storage source repositories:
- Backup Copy Jobs: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

Method for jet based database source repositories:
- Create a backup with Veeam Agent or a VM backup Job to have a consistent copy of the VB365 backup data and configuration
I know a script exists to move a repo to object but with 1TB of data I am worried how long that process would take and even if it is safe to use it to use that script to move from on-prem to S3 storage.
If it's the script I think it is, then the script is using officially supported PowerShell commands. They are supported and safe. But please note, the PowerShell commands are used for a one time migration to object storage. Not to copy data on a regular base. And it's not really fast. I recommend to wait for a future release of VB365. We are working on optimizing the migration.
Would the recommendation be to spin up VM for VBO and use VBR to replicate that VM to the cloud via the SOBR?
That sounds the easiest method if you can migrate the VB365 server and it's jet based databases. Please note, you need to reconfigure all settings. There is no configuration export/import yet:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2649

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Re: Veeam O365 repo replication?

Post by dhayes16 »

Thanks you thank you Fabian for your response once again. Very much appreciated. We will wait for a future version of v365 since we have plenty of storage.

Dave