Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Recovering VMs with a new VBR

Post by tyler.jurgens »

Trying to test out a scenario:

A VBR server (12.0.0.1420 P20230412) taking a backup of a VM direct to an S3 repository, the backup works fine and a full backup has been completed. No SOBR, nothing crazy. Just a lone S3 repository.

Lets assume this VBR server is cratered, along with the infrastructure.

A new VBR server (12.0.0.1420 P20230412) is deployed and connected to that S3 repository. No config backup has been restored, just a brand new VBR connected to the existing S3 repository/bucket.
- A prompt is given saying all backups will fail on the old VBR. That's fine, she's dead Jim.

What I would expect to see is all my backups in the new VBR server to restore from, however no backups are being discovered. When I try to "Import Backups" it looks like its trying to find Capacity tier backups and saying no backups are found. This was never a capacity tier S3 though, it was a direct S3 repository.

What am I missing?

What I'd like to be able to do is connect a new VBR to the S3 repository, restore the backups to a live running VM. Then take backups from that VM and be able to backup that VM back to the existing backup chain. Once the original infrastructure is either brought back to life or rebuilt, restore the original VBR from configs (or even build brand new) and recover the new backups back to the original infrastructure.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend

Re: Recovering VMs with a new VBR

Post by tyler.jurgens »

Right clicking on the repository and selecting "Import Backups" will *not* import these backups. I had to right click and select "Rescan", which now allowed the backups to show up.

Just got sidetracked with wondering why Import Backups didn't import backups. Problem solved, although I don't think its super intuitive once you see a button saying "Import Backups".
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, it imports only backups from ex-capacity extents and not from a standalone object storage repository.

While you were adding the object storage repository to the new backup console did you select the "Search the repository for existing backups and import them automatically" check-box?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We surely understand the confusion and try to improve the situation (at least with naming) will the next product releases. Thanks for raising this!
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend

Post by tyler.jurgens »

veremin wrote: May 31, 2023 10:29 am While you were adding the object storage repository to the new backup console did you select the "Search the repository for existing backups and import them automatically" check-box?
No, I clicked finish a bit to hastily when I got to that page and missed that step.

On any other repo, I'd "Rescan" to find my backups. Just saw the shiny "Import Backup" button and I got fixated on that.
Tyler Jurgens
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it, next time make sure the said check-box is selected and existing backups are imported automatically during repository creation. Otherwise, use the rescan button to propagate data.

And we will attempt to find a find to fix the issue with a bit misleading product dialogues.