Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Veeam Monitor 4.0 : Official Feedback Thread

Post by Gostev »

Veeam Monitor 4.0 has been officially released this morning!

Link to the What's New document:
http://www.veeam.com/veeam_monitor_4_0_whats_new_wn.pdf

Please post your first-minute impressions here!
sixth
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: Veeam Monitor 4.0 : Official Feedback Thread

Post by sixth »

I just have to say...the VIC feature is SWEEET!! (thank you!) I have showed this new version to my manager and he is VERY excited about it and is really impressed with the new features, we are already talking about budgeting to buy it. You guys have some great features, it now truly gives you 100% visual view into your infrastructure. It’s a great program (especially for us esxi users). When I first saw the VIC tab and clicked it, I couldn’t believe my eyes! Whoever thought of that feature I hope got a nice raise!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Before I leave for the day, here's some more of today's feedback from actual customers picked up on forum, Twitter and in my Inbox :D

"I just finished @veeam 4.0 monitor upgrade & it was a piece of cake; gotta love thier products!"

“I have to say, this new version is SICK! I have had no issues with the upgrade process, and everything works perfectly. I will give you more of a review once I use it more, but from what I have used, the additions are AWESOME!!”

“Very impressed with the software so far!”

“I love it!”
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

Hey guys what do I do if I have v3 and am within the year software maintenance window? Can I just install the new software and it updates or do I need new license keys?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You need to get 4.x license, but if you are still on maintenance, you will get it at no extra charge.
PieterH
Novice
Full Name: Pieter Hezemans

Post by PieterH »

Just installed free version veeam monitor.

Some isseu I have encounter.
Client version works only properly on local host where database is installed.
On remote clients like a terminal server the display is messing up. Eg when I rollover screen some icoons are dislpayed . But nothing else. Graphics etc are not visible. Run several test on different terminal servers and workstation but get always same problem with a messed up screen output.

Because the trend report only can deal with MS excel 2007 the monitor program is not suitable for my company. We use office 2003 and are migrating to open office and therefore we do not upgrade to office 2007. It seems I have to look for other vendors or create a monitor program by our self.

Pieter
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

PieterH wrote:Client version works only properly on local host where database is installed.
On remote clients like a terminal server the display is messing up. Eg when I rollover screen some icoons are dislpayed . But nothing else. Graphics etc are not visible. Run several test on different terminal servers and workstation but get always same problem with a messed up screen output.
Interesting problem, though this looks like a problem with your terminal application. Such applications are supposed to correctly translate screen view to remote client. I would check with terminal application provider on that. Sounds like some bugs with graphic compression/optimizations.
PieterH wrote:Because the trend report only can deal with MS excel 2007 the monitor program is not suitable for my company. We use office 2003 and are migrating to open office and therefore we do not upgrade to office 2007. It seems I have to look for other vendors or create a monitor program by our self.
Yes, trend reports require Excel 2007. Without it, you can only consume HTML reports. Unfortunately, at this time we don't have plans to add support for Office 2003 or OpenOffice. Main reason is that our Reporter line of products also relies on Excel 2007 heavily, but for the whole time being we only got a few complaints about that.

Thank you for your feedback, please check back to see future versions. We realize our product is far from being ideal and suitable for 100% of customers, however we are constantly working on improving our products!
PieterH
Novice
Full Name: Pieter Hezemans

Post by PieterH »

Interesting problem, though this looks like a problem with your terminal application. Such applications are supposed to correctly translate screen view to remote client. I would check with terminal application provider on that. Sounds like some bugs with graphic compression/optimizations.
FYI
Messedup Screen output does not appear when connecting with RDP session to the server where the database is running.
Screen is only messedup on remote (RDP, ICA or Console software, eg netsupport) clients in same LAN. ( I did not waste my time to test it over the WAN, I presume this wil need a high speed dataline which we don't have, btw RDP ICA and other remote console software was invented for those system administrators to do their job remotely over the WAN ;)
Yes, trend reports require Excel 2007. Without it, you can only consume HTML reports. Unfortunately, at this time we don't have plans to add support for Office 2003 or OpenOffice. Main reason is that our Reporter line of products also relies on Excel 2007 heavily, but for the whole time being we only got a few complaints about that.
Few complains can come from a large european company which are looking for a good monitor program like VEAAM and willing to pay the license fee if it fits in their infrastructure.

Pieter
tomrowan
Novice
Full Name: Tom Rowan

Post by tomrowan »

The product GUI and features that I've played with so far are excellent... well done you guys. :D

I'm running the full version of Monitor as a VM under ESX (W2K3, 512MB RAM).
One small Issue that I'm seeing at the moment is that the bundled SQLserver is running constantly at 92-100% CPU.
The irony here is that the my Veeam Monitor VM is the only one in my environment experiencing any problems.. :shock: :?
So your product is working fine - perhaps I should upgrade to full SQL?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You can try allocating 2 vCPUs for this VM, this should help.
pdxkid
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: pdxkid

Post by pdxkid »

4.0 rocks.

A feature (ability?) I would like to see would be the ability to remove inherited alarms from a single host.

For example, at the top level we have 10 alarms defined. I want those alarms to be identical on 5 of the 6 ESXi hosts. We have 1 ESXi host that is not in production and therefore doesn't keep to the same standards as the others.

I don't want alarms from the non-production server so I would like to remove the inherited alarms but I can't. I don't want to recreate that many alarms for each Host at a lower level (too hard to keep them standardized over time) and I don't want to remove the non-production server from all monitoring (as I do want 1 alarm on it).

That would be my feature enhancement request. Beyond that, 4.0 is a great release...it fixed a big issue I was having with the SMTP engine and it added features I find useful, not to mention the upgrade was quick and painless.

Thanks everyone for your hard work on 4.0.

Regards
oleav
Novice
Full Name: ole a

Post by oleav »

Why not generate reports to e.g PDF or other distributable formats? The Excel 2007 requirement is a real killer for us - we will never use it.

It looks like a really neat tool, but at this time - it will not be an option for us.

Oh - and by the way - please inform about the Excel requirement during installation :D

Best regards
Ole
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please note that Excel 2007 is only required for a very small part of Veeam Monitor 4.0 - trend reports, but not for anything else (not even for regular performance reports). I will add Excel 2007 requirement to 4.5 release notes - working on them right now, we are releasing 4.5 tomorrow!

Thanks for the feedback.
elmcse
Lurker
Full Name: Jeff

Post by elmcse »

Where can we get the Businees View and 4.5 Monitor downloads?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Jeff, they are available for download from our web-site since yesterday night.
I am closing this thread due to the new release :) if you have any questions please post in the 4.5 thread.