Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
filippoAdb
Influencer
Liked: never

Failed to perform health check Error due to file session limitation

Post by filippoAdb »

I cloned a file share backup because I wanted to change the storage from a nas to a storeonce catalist repository.

The job fails with the following error:
"31/05/2023 13:05:48 :: Failed to perform health check Error: Failed to dispatch repository file sessions resource request. Requested amount of file sessions (34) is greater than the maximum amount available (27) "
Here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... -storeonce I read about concurrent file session limitation for the Storeonce but the suggestion to reduce the backup chain is not applicable to my case.
Don't know what I can change in the configuration to have the backup work again.
The file backup job has a reasonable retention policy, I cannot reduce it, so if the problem is that I think a Storeonce storage is completely useless in this scenario.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Failed to perform health check Error due to file session limitation

Post by Mildur »

Hi Filippo

File Share Backups do not use "VBK" and "VIB" files. They create vblob files to store the backups.
vblob files have a size of 64MB. I assume the issue is, that there are too many of those small files simultaneously opened for the StoreOnce appliance when the backup job runs.
To solve that issue on a StoreOnce appliance, we have a special command to convert those files into larger "single file basket format".
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

The command converts the 64MB files into 1GB files. It's recommended for HPE Storeonce appliances and Dell EMC Data Domain storage system.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
EShutov
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Evgenii

Post by EShutov »

As Mildur says, NAS Backup works differently - the backup chain length doesn't affect the number of required slots.
One of the reasons it might not work is that you have other running jobs that target the same repository.
If it doesn't help, please open a support ticket.
filippoAdb
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by filippoAdb »

The suggested procedure ended successfully and I can see 1GB blob files in the storage. I launched a Health check manually and it failed again with the same error. The file backup job is about 4 shared folder and some of them are bigger than 1000 GB.
Currently I'm stuck with the new cloned job and I had to revert to previous job with nas storage.