Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
chrisr
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Immutable repository for Veeam Backup for Azure v5

Post by chrisr »

I've been looking at this as well and have taken the following steps:

Deployed new v5 Veeam Azure appliance from the library/store
Found that immutability cannot be enabled for existing storage accounts, so created new storage account with version level immutability support enabled under data management / data protection
Attempted to add repository from the configuration webui of the new appliance (and it has the backups stored in this repo will be immutable box ticked, albeit greyed out) but clicking next I get the error: "The time-based immutability option must be disabled in the azure portal for the selected storage account <name>"

I haven't linked the appliance to VBR as we haven't upgraded to v12 as yet, so is azure immutability only available on repos for appliances linked to v12 vbr?

edit: looks like i missed the kb linked to as well that suggests that only container level is supported, which wasn't my understanding of what was meant by 'azure immutablility is now supported in v5'
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2291 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Immutable repository for Veeam Backup for Azure v5

Post by Mildur »

Hi Chrisr

I moved your question to another sub forum (for our Azure product).

Veeam Backup for Azure v5 doesn't require a connected VBR server for using immutable repositories.
And the mentioned KB article is for Veeam Backup & Replication v12.

For Veeam Backup for Azure v5, please check that you have either enabled version-level immutability support or blob versioning on the specified storage account and that default time-based retention policy is not enabled. For the new blob container, please enable Version-level immutability support.

From the error message it seems that you have time-based retention policies enabled on your storage account, which is not supported. Only Veeam must be able to manage the immutability of the restore point data.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbazu ... tml?ver=5a
If you plan to enable immutability settings for the created repository, make sure that:

- Either version-level immutability support or blob versioning is enabled for the specified storage account, and the default time-based retention policy is not configured for the account.
- Version-level immutability support is enabled for the specified blob container.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
chrisr
Influencer

Post by chrisr »

Hi Fabian,

If veeam is the only thing that should be managing content, then presumably the blob versioning be set to keep all versions, and have nothing configured under lifecycle management?

Thanks
chrisr
Influencer

Post by chrisr »

Looks like that is exactly what I have setup, but I'm still getting the error:

Recovery
no options enabled (no soft/permanent delete enabled)

Tracking
Enable versioning for blobs, keep all versions

Access control
Enable version-level immutability support - nothing configured under manage policy
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Chrisr

I just created a new repository with the same settings as you have and the documented ones from the user guide and backup works. It is immutable.

I recommend to open a support case and let them check your settings.

Storage Account Settings:

Container Settings:

Backup successful

Best,
Fabian
chrisr
Influencer

Post by chrisr »

Most odd then - I have the same settings and have matching screenshots but I can't even add the repository (from the web ui as the last configuration task) so don't get as far as setting up a test job.
Do you think it will make a difference that I deployed from the azure catalog, rather than adding a managed server from VBR?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

If you have recently deployed your appliance from the Azure marketplace, then it should be on V5.
There is no difference in functionality from where you deploy the appliance (VBR or marketplace).
https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/ ... b=Overview

You can check your version in the configuration > support information > updates menu:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbazu ... tml?ver=5a

It must be on server version 5 (screenshot in the user guide shows v4, we will update the screenshot)

Best,
Fabian