Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cixiyim303
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: cixiyim303

one standalone hyper-v is controlled by two different VBR servers

Post by cixiyim303 »

I have one standalone hyper-v server. It is correctly controlled by the first VBR. I would like to add this standalone hyper-v to the backup infrastrucrutre of the second separate VBR (without deleting from the first one). Is such a scenario possible?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: one standalone hyper-v is controlled by two different VBR servers

Post by PetrM »

Hello and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

Technically, it could be possible but it's against our best practices, I doubt that it is supported officially. Why do you need to add the same host to another Veeam B&R server? Let's try to find another way to solve your problem.

Thanks!
cixiyim303
Novice

Post by cixiyim303 »

Hello and thx. In such a simple way, I plan to split backups into two locations, so that if the first location is unavailable, I can use instant backup without additional VBR deployments and, accordingly, loss of time.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

You can keep just one Veeam B&R server in one of the locations and store its configuration backup on a repo in another location. This server can manage backups on both locations and backup copies from one location to another.

Thanks!
cixiyim303
Novice

Post by cixiyim303 »

Hello and thx. I want the backups to be managed by different servers (simple backup fail). Second VBR server under workload - I can't just go ahead and overwrite its configuration from backup. For your solution, I need a third standby VBR server - this is redundant in my opinion.
cixiyim303
Novice

Post by cixiyim303 »

My solution suits me better and it even partially works, however at some point on the second VBR server I get an error: "Task failed. Failed to expand object. Error: Failed to call RPC function 'HviFindVm': RPC function call failed. Function name: [DoRpc]".

Rebooting Hyper-V helps for a while
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,
cixiyim303 wrote:For your solution, I need a third standby VBR server - this is redundant in my opinion.
Apologies if I was not clear enough but it's not what I wanted to say. The idea is to have just one Veeam B&R server that manages all jobs in both locations. Thus, you don't need to share the same Hyper-V host between different Veeam servers.

Please keep in mind that sharing two different Hyper-V hosts between different Veeam B&R servers is strictly contradicts our best practices and I don't recommend going this way. You may refer to our best practices guide for more information.

Thanks!
cixiyim303
Novice

Post by cixiyim303 » 1 person likes this post

Do not apologize, I appreciate your hints.