Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
spider32
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alexander Martinez

Error: Failed to prepare VM for processing: [MachineSemaphore] Failed to wait for semaphore Global\PREPARING_SAN_VM

Post by spider32 »

I can't seem to find enough information about this error. It seems it is just a passed through error either coming from vSphere or our NetApp storage. Initially, I thought this was a transient error and appeared to be affecting different VMs but looking closely, it is affecting the same VMs. I have opened up a ticket with support and so far the suggestion was to max the concurrent task processed by the proxies which does not address the issue.

Error: Failed to prepare VM for processing: [MachineSemaphore] Failed to wait for semaphore Global\PREPARING_SAN_VM

Case #06084677

Appreciate your feedback! Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Error: Failed to prepare VM for processing: [MachineSemaphore] Failed to wait for semaphore Global\PREPARING_SAN_VM

Post by PetrM »

Hi Alexander,

Don't hesitate to escalate the support case if you're not satisfied with the proposed solution and feel that a more precise examination of your case is needed.

Thanks!
spider32
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alexander Martinez

Re: Error: Failed to prepare VM for processing: [MachineSemaphore] Failed to wait for semaphore Global\PREPARING_SAN_VM

Post by spider32 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for this tip. I was able to escalate and based on looking more at the logs, connection to our ESXi host on port 902 got blocked. Our vSphere admin decided to set the ESXi FW rule on NFC to allow certain IP addresses only. The rules on our ESXi hosts were updated to allow communication with the VBR and its proxies.