Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

Delete files before tape job is done?

Post by bhagen »

Hi; I'm running Veeam v11.0.1.1261. I have a "backup to tape" job currently running on a 100TB set of backup jobs.

The job is almost complete; only one set of backup jobs is left to be processed. Can I delete the others from the repository before the job completes?

For instance:

Say I have 5 veeam backup jobs on my repository...for simplicity we'll say they are named 1 thru 5. Each of the 5 jobs is backing up a various amount of VMs. I'm no longer using any of the VMs in any of those 5 jobs, and am ready to shut all of them down and delete them from my vsan datastore, but I want to archive all their backups to tape before I delete the VMs...just in case!

So, now I've stopped the backup jobs I've started a "backup to tape" job on all of those backup jobs, and that "backup to tape" job is currently 90% complete, with all but one of the backup jobs marked as "success". Let's say that the backup job called "5" is still being archived to tape, but 1-4 are all marked "complete".

Can I go ahead and delete the folders for backup jobs 1-4 from the backup repository, before the tape job is complete? I'd hate to delete them and find out in 2 days (when the tape job is done) that the tape job for some reason needed to see those vibs/vbks one last time before marking the job as complete.

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Delete files before tape job is done?

Post by Mildur »

Hello bhagen

I didn't tested it, but I recommend to keep those files till you are sure they are on tape.
Maybe also run a recovery test for a few VMs which are important to you from your tape. If the recovery works, then delete the backup files.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software