Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FECV
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Frederick Cooper V

Veeam Only Having Single ISCSI connection to Unity For Snapshot Backup

Post by FECV »

I think this issue is kind of like another forum post I read a few years ago, but the issue seems to still persist. I opened a case a few months ago with support asking if is still normal for only a single iSCSI Initiator path connection to be created when doing a Snapshot Backup from my Unity. Of course i was told yes, but I really have to ask the reasoning here. Its bad enough that I have to see my device go into a warning state constantly, I can't ignore this, incase there is a real issue that need attention. I can't do any maintenance on the device as it fails a health check and refuses to go any further. This is really starting to get annoying. If Veeam supports Dell Unity can't they come up with some way to work around this. Just allowing Veeam to create Initiators to all the target ports would allow for redundancy of the backup especially when my full backups can take two weeks. But when I can't update my production SAN or do certain maintenance tasks it really makes me question the reasons why this is being overlooked and not addressed.

Here is a link to the similar thread i found from 2019.
vmware-vsphere-f24/veeam-is-using-depre ... 32052b7b5a
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Only Having Single ISCSI connection to Unity For Snapshot Backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
maybe I'm blind, but I cannot find the support case number anywhere to investigate further.

As a quick workaround: did you consider using plain direct SAN mode without storage snapshots. Does that maybe solve it (just for testing)?
when my full backups can take two weeks
that sounds like a general (job) design issue.

Best regards,
Hannes