Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
merku
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Mercurio

any doubts about Veeam for Microsoft 365

Post by merku »

Hi,
I'm not very familiar with the Veeam for Microsoft 365 product and I have a few questions for you.
I set up my first online exchange backups and save the data to a repository local to the backup server.
I would like to save the Veeam repository with another backup software and put the backups on tape with long retention. Let's say that after about 2/3 months I need to recover these backups from tape and re-import them into Veeam Office 365, is it possible to do this?

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: any doubts about Veeam for Microsoft 365

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mercurio,

If I understood it correctly, then you are using the jet DB repository, on a local path to the VB365 server. Ideally, in what you want to achieve, you backup the entire VB365 server with (for example) Veeam Backup and Replication (VBR). VBR will store it as an entire VM backup AND give you the option to restore M365 data directly from there (without the need to entirely restore the VM or the repository on that VM). If it is a physical machine, you can use VB for Windows to do the same
merku
Enthusiast

Post by merku »

merku wrote: Feb 28, 2023 5:21 pm Hi,
I'm not very familiar with the Veeam for Microsoft 365 product and I have a few questions for you.
I set up my first online exchange backups and save the data to a repository local to the backup server.
I would like to save the Veeam repository with another backup software and put the backups on tape with long retention. Let's say that after about 2/3 months I need to recover these backups from tape and re-import them into Veeam Office 365, is it possible to do this?

Thanks
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I knew the possibility to save the whole o365 VM machine with VBR, but currently I don't have the possibility to do it since I don't have a VBR Server available :D
My idea was, backup the repository to tape using Backup Exec, once a month. So that the data in any case can remain physically online. My question was, if I need to recover the o365 repository from tape, do I have the possibility to read them back and restore the elements inside with o365?
I know that with Veeam Explorer for Exchange it is also possible to re-read an external or archived file on a tape, but I don't understand if this can work
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

If you are using the jet DB repository, then you can use the Veeam explorers to explore them afterwards. However, restoring back to M365 won't be possible (as we don't have the organization access at that point in time)

Can you re-add the Jet DB files as a repository to a VB365 installation? Yes, all steps for an entire issue (you only need parts of it) are described here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2649
merku
Enthusiast

Post by merku » 1 person likes this post

Great thanks Mike
merku
Enthusiast

Post by merku »

Hi,
I have another question.
How can I save the configuration of the backup jobs in Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365?
It's like saving an internal database backup in VBR.