quakel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeroen Kwakkel

DR offsite locaties with second veeam server

Post by quakel »

Hello,

I have a question.

We have 1 Veeam V6 server backup 150 vm's onsite. We want to create a offsite location for offsite backups. Can a create a second veeam server on the offsite location (WAN ~ 500mbit/s) with using a proxy on the onsite location.
The problem for this setup is, a need to run 2 times my backup jobs, 1 on the first veeam server onsite, second on the offsite locaties. But with this solution i can make synthatic backups on the offsite location without using WAN bandwiths.

Have anyone a better solution?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: DR offsite locaties with second veeam server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

quakel wrote:Can a create a second veeam server on the offsite location (WAN ~ 500mbit/s) with using a proxy on the onsite location.
Actually I would suggest creating additional offsite backup repository and that's it. The VM data in this case will look like this: Source host -> backup proxy -> offsite backup repository.
quakel wrote:The problem for this setup is, a need to run 2 times my backup jobs, 1 on the first veeam server onsite, second on the offsite locaties.
If you don't want to run two backup jobs, you may want to use rsync as an alternative. Please search these forums for existing topics about that.
quakel wrote:But with this solution i can make synthatic backups on the offsite location without using WAN bandwiths.
If you deploy offsite backup repository all synthetic backups will be performed on the remote site without using WAN bandwidth at all.
quakel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeroen Kwakkel

Post by quakel »

Thank you for your tips.

I have testing 3 sollutions:
1) second backup veeam server offsite with proxy onsite. This works great when the onsite locatie is unavilable. All the backup data + veeam server are offsite and ready for restore.

2) Repository offsite, this solution is easy for met scheduled jobs, in one veeam console all the jobs.

3) Replication job to ESX servers. The data is more then 2Tb to replicate so a need more luns in my ESX offsite server(s). Thats no problem but the replication jobs cannot replicatie automatic to diverent LUN's on de ESX server. Mmm thats not easy.

Does anyone have a good idee for option 3?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

3. In v6, you can specify target LUN for each VM and each disk.