Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
vaxyz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

SOBR Direct-to-Object Storage AWS

Post by vaxyz »

Hi,

6 months ago, I have setup Backup Copy Jobs with scale-out backup repository using AWS S3 and Glacier Deep Archive.

I enabled immutability on Glacier Deep Archive only - fearing that if I enabled immutability on AWS S3 it would drastically incur cost. My understanding Veeam B&R going to rescan the entire S3 bucket every 10 days to age out and flip the immutability bits on anything that has exceeded expiration. This will lead to a decent chunk of API calls on 10-day basis.

After doing further research, the Backup Copy Jobs are considered to be sealed chain backups and that may change some things and can be lower API charges - I think.

My question is if I enabled immutability on the Performance Tier for 14 days, will the Backup Copy Jobs incur a lot less of API charges because these are considered to be sealed chain backups?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: SOBR Direct-to-Object Storage AWS

Post by veremin »

My understanding Veeam B&R going to rescan the entire S3 bucket every 10 days to age out and flip the immutability bits on anything that has exceeded expiration.
Not sure where this understanding is coming from and what "flit immutability bit" means. Could you kindly elaborate? Thanks!
vaxyz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re: SOBR Direct-to-Object Storage AWS

Post by vaxyz »

Hi,

I asked ChatGPT regarding how to keep the API cost down for AWS S3 if you have immutability enabled and here what it says.

If you can confirm this is correct or add anything to the list that'll be much appreciated.

To keep API costs down when using Veeam Backup & Replication with immutability enabled on AWS S3, you can follow these best practices:

1. Use backup copy intervals: Adjust the backup copy intervals to minimize the number of API requests. By increasing the interval, you reduce the frequency of backup copy operations, resulting in fewer API calls.

2. Implement backup copy jobs: Configure backup copy jobs to transfer backups to S3 in larger batches. This reduces the number of API requests compared to transferring individual backups.

3. Leverage incremental backups: Take advantage of incremental backups rather than full backups whenever possible. Incremental backups transfer only the changed data, resulting in smaller backup sizes and fewer API requests.

4. Utilize backup file chains: Instead of creating separate objects for each restore point, use backup file chains. This approach combines multiple restore points into a single object, reducing the number of API requests required to access or restore data.

5. Optimize retention policies: Fine-tune your retention policies to minimize the number of objects that need to be managed. Shorter retention periods or utilizing AWS S3 lifecycle policies to transition objects to lower-cost storage tiers can help reduce costs.

6. Enable compression and deduplication: Enable compression and deduplication features within Veeam Backup & Replication. This reduces the size of backup data, resulting in fewer API requests and reduced storage costs.

7. Monitor and optimize job configurations: Regularly monitor backup job configurations to ensure they align with your desired cost and performance goals. Adjust settings such as backup schedules, job priorities, and the number of concurrent tasks to optimize API usage and minimize costs.

8. Review AWS S3 cost optimization best practices: Familiarize yourself with AWS S3 cost optimization best practices, as they can provide additional insights into minimizing API costs when using immutability features. AWS documentation and resources can help you identify further opportunities to optimize your usage.