Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
slclarke
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: S Clarke

Target Performance

Post by slclarke »

Hi,

Facing an issue where VeeamAgent.exe has high CPU usage on my target repository (Win2003 SP2 AMD dual 2.2ghz - sadly not alot of grunt). Full backup job starts at an acceptable speed 120MB/s. For the 1st hour proxy's CPU (8 x 2.8Ghz VM) running max, as except since compression is set to optimal, target's CPU is pretty much idle and network usage is high.

Then over time, nearly 3 hours into the job speed drops down to 30Mb/s

Proxy's CPU hovers about 30%. Network traffic on the proxy and target is bouncing between 0% and 15%. Except VeeamAgent.exe on the target is using about 50% CPU. What is the reason for VeeamAgent.exe taking up CPU on the target.

Current stats are;
Source 32%
Proxy 70%
Network 83%
Target 51%

Need any more info please let me know. Help is appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Steve
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Target Performance

Post by foggy »

Steve, do you have patch #3 installed? It introduces some changes to bottleneck stats calculation logic right on the network-target side, so it's important to understand the situation.
slclarke
Novice

Post by slclarke »

Running 6.0.0.164, will install veeam_backup_6.0.0.181.patch3_setup.exe right now
slclarke
Novice

Post by slclarke »

Installed veeam_backup_6.0.0.181.patch3_setup.exe all OK. Previous job was a full backup of exchange, now running the same job with the additional of our main file server. Very similar issue is still occurring. Starts at a good speed. Then after about an hour CPU usage of VeeamAgent.exe on the target is bouncing and network traffic on the proxy and target are bouncing.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

The patch was not meant to fix any performance issues. It was only needed to see the more correct load stats. What load numbers are you seeing with patch 3 in the tooltip when hovering over bottleneck label on the real-time statistics screen at the time when the job performance gets low? Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I noticed you said target agent CPU usage increased dramatically when issue appeared. This is interesting, we may want to take a look at this closer. Can you please open a support case, and PM me or post case ID here? I have already emailed the agent dev asking for his ideas, but I know he's going to ask for extra info, and I'd like our support to be able to communicate with you quickly through the support system. Thanks!
DSmith
Veeam Software
Full Name: Dewain Smith

Post by DSmith »

Steven, Anton,

I have picked up the case directly. Case ID is 5180463.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

slclarke, do you have antivirus installed on the backup repository server? If yes, which one? Can you completely disable it (or better yet, uninstall temporarily) and see if the problem goes away? Thanks.
slclarke
Novice

Post by slclarke »

Hi, No AV is installed on the backup repository server.